Premed 101 Forums

Essay required for Ottawa application?

Hi there, I have been looking through the 2007 OMSAS application package and it appears that the non-academic portion of the Ottawa application only consists of an autobiographic sketch. Are there any essays or other questions to answer, or do we simply fill out the form listing our activities?

Also, I currently have a research publication under review. I understand that I cannot list this on the sketch yet, but I also presented my findings at one of those research summer student poster days last year. Would I be able to list this under the 'Research' section?

Hey!

There are no questions in the sketch for Ottawa. You just basically enter all significant implications you have and who can confirm that, and describe it very briefly (I forget how many words you have, but it has to be very concise).

As per publication... Whatever research you have, it is ABSOLUTELY important to mention all of what it is. I applied twice at Ottawa U... first time, no research... didn't get an interview... second time, I had done research (it was the only difference, pretty much between my two applications)... i got an interview. So, whatever you do as research, you must put it.

The way I would break it down... I would mention it as three activities, in your case. 1. Job/volunteer/placement in a research lab 2. Your publication (it asks your if it's published, accepted or under review and if it's in a peer-reviewed journal, it's really important to mention that). and 3. Your participation in a formal conference day or any type of presentation of your research is important to mention! So I would list it as three different things. That's how I've done things for my application, and I got an interview.

Good luck!

Paul

Archived