Premed 101 Forums

weighted average and extenuatiing circumstances...

Hi all -

Just wanted to pick your collective brains about a thought that's been itching mine..:confused:

I'm applying this year as a PhD candidate, and have fairly decent stats for my grad work..However, my first and second year of undergrad are pretty dismal, and my overall GPA would benefit hugely from the weighted average calculation. Unfortunately I had to drop a course in the middle of first semester of my 3rd year (family issues), and I was wondering if it would seem "whiny" at all if I requested special consideration.

I get the feeling from talking to several people and looking at these boards that grad productivity is emphasized more for grad students, so I'm wondering if I should even bother with the special request letter, since it may make a negative impression on the AdCom?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think its whiny at all. Just because you dropped one course doesn't mean you weren't a full time student and shouldn't receive the perks. It can't hurt to ask politely and then they can decide whether or not to apply it. But if you don't ask, they won't for sure.

• 3 months later...

Archived