Premed 101 Forums

Hey everyone,

I just had an evaluation for one of my rotations. I did well overall....however, there were some constructive critiques/comments that they gave. For ppl applying to uber cometitive specialties, do these 'not so favorable' comments really hurt you in the long run? The comments im talking about are of the 'could work on med intereactions/medical management more' type. They were offset by more general poitive comments (works well, enthusiastic, good knowledge base)..

im wondering if having such critiques can hurt an applicant if there are a few of these on their cARMS applications.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I just had an evaluation for one of my rotations. I did well overall....however, there were some constructive critiques/comments that they gave. For ppl applying to uber cometitive specialties, do these 'not so favorable' comments really hurt you in the long run? The comments im talking about are of the 'could work on med intereactions/medical management more' type. They were offset by more general poitive comments (works well, enthusiastic, good knowledge base)..

im wondering if having such critiques can hurt an applicant if there are a few of these on their cARMS applications.

Thanks

Hi there,

First of all, you should determine how your school reports ITER comments. At UofC, although all ITER marks are included in the evaluation, not all ITER comments are. If your school does not report ITER comments then you have little to worry about.

If the comments are included, I doubt they would have that much impact unless someone is being very picky. Minimally, you're probably early in your clerkship rotations so it is expected that your capabilities will increase as the months of clerkship wear on.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Any comments at all means your evaluator took the time to look closely at your performance on your rotation. If those comments are included, it gives the reader of your CaRMS application more information about how you did... and personally I would give higher value to a descriptive evaluation with strengths and weaknesses identified marked at 3.5/4 or 4/5 than a blank 4/4 or 5/5 with no comments whatsoever.

Archived