Premed 101 Forums

The Queen`s Summer Experience

There are definitely plenty of opportunities to do interesting things during the summer while a med student at Queen's. First-years spend a "week in the country" partnered with a physician after exams in May. This is a great opportunity to experience rural clinical medicine. Students can also participate in the rotating observership program at Queen's which involves choosing several areas of interest and spending a week in each participating in clinical activities. It is also possible to set up your own observerships for the summer in areas that interest you. Quite a number of people travel to Northern Canada, Africa, India, South and Central America for clinical experience and to provide educational outreach, etc. Some of these trips were organized by Queen's Medical Outreach (I think) and others were organized by students themselves. Perhaps someone with more experience with these can comment on international initiatives further... As for research, there are a host of scholarships offered to medical students for conducting research in different fields at Queen's. At the end of second year, we are required to do a research project called the Critical Enquiry Elective. You can do this anywhere and in any field you choose.

Maybe someone else can add anything I've missed. Hope that gives you some idea of the options available for the summer.

The above post is a good summary. I did the week in the country and rotating observorships after first year. After second year I went to Africa with a group of classmates-a program that now operates every summer.

Summer opportunities organized specifically by each school shouldn't be a factor in your decision making process. Motivated medical students can set up elective and research opportunities around the world in whatever field they want, regardless of which school they attend. While each school does have a couple of programs dedicated to their own students, I think most people set things up independently.

Archived