Premed 101 Forums

contiki tour

this is just stemming from the last summer plans thread...i just wanted to get some feedback from this forum - man...i've become addicted

anyways...i'm starting med school this fall and am working a really awesome job that i love (special needs kids, community outreach, amazing coworkers etc...) and i don't want to just quit and go travel because, quite frankly, i feel like i'd be missing out. my boss is totally cool with giving me 3 weeks off, however, and so i've been really considering going on a contiki tour of europe. I'd be going alone, and maybe some of you can give me some advice if you've been on one (ie. is it worth it). i don't really feel like gallavanting around europe alone...and i would prefer to backpack with a friend, but that's not happening this year (maybe scotland next year...) so i figured a contiki tour works.

good idea?

I say go on your own, get a flexible rail pass, and you can hook up with people you meet along the way and travel with them a few days, part ways, meet some more people. Bring your letter of acceptance to help you hook up with the ladies :D But seriously, force yourself to be freindly and start conversations (if you are the introverted type), be ready to go with the flow, and you will have more fun than on a structured tour with a bunch of old farts.

If I'm wrong in my assumption about the Contiki tour being all old farts then hmm, maybe that would be a lot of fun too. I guess you can tell I'm not going into gerontology :P

oh, no contiki tour. Old people. Mostly couples. I agree with the above. Do it yourself, and you will definitely meet people to share bits of your travels. Don't make a definitive plan, just show up, and travel wherever whenever the mood strikes you. Have an adventure, and the random and ridiculous stories you get out of it will be a million times better than contiki stories.

How old is an old fart??? Contiki is for people who are 18-35!

While I do agree that travelling on your own may give you a more unique and fun experience, I have a friend who went Contiki (with another friend mind you) and really had a fantastic time. Not sure if there are many individuals travelling with Contiki, but I am sure there are people on it who aren't just couples.

there are contiki-type groups that go around europe for young people that are specified singles only. Not sure if the main point of those is to hook up, or if it's just cuz you don't want to be stuck with all couples, but either way you can ask your travel agent about it.

Last summer, a friend of mine got a flexible Eurail Pass and basically covered the better chunk of Europe. She met like 15 or so really good people from Australia, South America, China...just about everywhere. It's all about being open, and to trying new things. I am the kind of person that can walk into a room and start a conversation about sex with someone that I just met. They might be caught a little bit off guard, but that's just who I am. I like to throw it all on the table and see how some people react. It's quite interesting actually. You'll find that most times, people will engage in the conversation just because they are intrigued that a total stranger has the guts to say all that.

Best of luck in the fall, and happy travelling!

thanks everyone...i've got my vaca almost planned out...it's gonna cost me an arms and a leg, but totally worth it! thanks for all your super helpful feedback

So will you be going on the contiki tour? I was thinking about doing that next summer so let me know how it is!

i haven't travelled alot on my own before, and I dont' have a ton of time this time around, so I thought I'd stick to a contiki tour. I'm doing a 10 day contiki tour and then spending 2 weeks in ireland with a friend who lives in dublin. the contiki tour lets me see a bit more of europe and maximizes my time, so i think it works. next year though, i'd love to walk across scotland...and backpack with some friends. Or, hopefully, do a volunteer trip to Kenya or something with other med students.

my poor line of credit will get quite the hit next summer :)

This is a little late seeing as you have your vacation planned.

But you could check out GAP Adventures.

They tend to have more active tours where you hike, cycle, river raft etc... depending on where you are.

Depending on the level you pick, there are sometimes home stays with families so you get to experience the culture a bit.

And their tourism is all "sustainable".

I have always preferred to make my own travel plans. But I know people who have enjoyed GAP. If I were to do a group kind of thing, I would probably go with them. All depends what kind of travel you like.

But thought I would mention it in case you haven`t heard of GAP and in case it is something you would enjoy!

Have a great summer!

• 3 years later...

Go on your own with some friends. I backpacked Europe twice and doing a bit of Asia this year. I never regretted my decision to not go with an organized tour. In essence you get to do the same thing when on you are on your own but with increased flexibility and at less expense. Plus you get that extra bit of adventure and satisfaction of figuring stuff out out on your own. ;)

Hostels are cheap (see http://www.hostelworld.com). And a rail pass is reasonable. Plus if you want to make big hops around Europe Easy Jet and Ryan Air flights can fly you around Europe at same price as you would pay for new jeans. In Asia, Air Asia can do the same thing. Who needs contiki...

I did a contiki tour and a couple years later went to Europe on my own with a friend. I had the most amazing time on contiki and met some people who I'm close with to this day. Europe was fun on my own and I definitely got to see more of the sights but it wasn't as much fun without my contiki group.

I did a contiki tour and a couple years later went to Europe on my own with a friend. I had the most amazing time on contiki and met some people who I'm close with to this day. Europe was fun on my own and I definitely got to see more of the sights but it wasn't as much fun without my contiki group.

Sorry to pick on you but I have a couple questions since you experienced both sides of the choices I am deciding between.

1) Was the Contiki or the lone backpacking more cost effective?

2) Did you feel rushed on the Contiki tour?

3) How did the accommodations compare between your own bookings and contiki?

Thanks so much for any answers!

Archived