Premed 101 Forums

is it true that out-of-province applicant have a higher chance getting in?

Ummm....no :P

One plausible explanation why dent schools take a limited # of oop students is because they want their students to stay and practice in the school's province. Why would a school want to educate you and spend a lot of time and money on your education when you are just going to pack up and leave to make your practice elsewhere? They don't want to lose their "creations" to another workforce. I'm sure there are other reasons, but I think that's a big one.

Actually at Manitoba, an OOP applicant who gets an interview WILL have a better chance of getting in than an IP applicant. The difference between the cut-off for OOP vs. IP is such that any OOP interviewed is waayy ahead of most IP applicants in terms of GPA and DAT.

For 2007:

OOP cut-off for interviews = 3.85

IP cut-off = 3.25

OOP minimum DAT = 20

IP min. DAT = 18

It's pretty clear: most OOP applicants will already be at the top pf the pool of those interviewed in terms of GPA and DAT long before the final ranking of even begins.

Pretty strange considering:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2007/05/03/dentist-shortage.html

this thread doesnt make sense. IP have a better chance only if the university reserves a certain percentage of seats for IP applicants. Otherwise, no one has an advantage as it comes down to whoever has the better GPA and DAT marks

if an oop has a much higher DAT and GPA then obviously that person has a better chance of getting in over an IP who's DAT and GPA is lower, and vice versa.

winnipeg wasnt that bad, but the hospital was sooo ghetto

this thread doesnt make sense. IP have a better chance only if the university reserves a certain percentage of seats for IP applicants. Otherwise, no one has an advantage as it comes down to whoever has the better GPA and DAT marks

That's EXACTLY what makes it easier for IP: other than UBC all the schools save the majority of their seats for IP. So OOPs compete for 5-10 seats, while IP compete for 25-60 spots (depending on the school).

Actually at Manitoba, an OOP applicant who gets an interview WILL have a better chance of getting in than an IP applicant. The difference between the cut-off for OOP vs. IP is such that any OOP interviewed is waayy ahead of most IP applicants in terms of GPA and DAT.

For 2007:

OOP cut-off for interviews = 3.85

IP cut-off = 3.25

OOP minimum DAT = 20

IP min. DAT = 18

It's pretty clear: most OOP applicants will already be at the top pf the pool of those interviewed in terms of GPA and DAT long before the final ranking of even begins.

Pretty strange considering:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2007/05/03/dentist-shortage.html

Who are the people that come up with these admissions policies? Manitobans should be pissed off; public funds going to educate dentists for other provinces... Way to pick 'em UofManitoba!

are u kidding me? Manitoba doesn't even put OOP on waiting list. If they do, I may have a better chance. (shame on my province (BC) for not protecting the interest of its residents)

eyesore? lol, whatever. its a city like any other with all its trash and homeless people and bad areas. It is cheap to live here and the dental education is inexpensive, which is probably why ppl want to come here from out of province despite their description of it as an eyesore. that being said, I would also see UofM's strategy to keep students in province evidenced by their ridiculous biochem curriculum. Its too hard, so i think oop students had it easier and this explains partly their higher gpa (just thought of this, so shoot it down if it is blatently inaccurate!)

eyesore? lol, whatever. its a city like any other with all its trash and homeless people and bad areas. It is cheap to live here and the dental education is inexpensive, which is probably why ppl want to come here from out of province despite their description of it as an eyesore. that being said, I would also see UofM's strategy to keep students in province evidenced by their ridiculous biochem curriculum. Its too hard, so i think oop students had it easier and this explains partly their higher gpa (just thought of this, so shoot it down if it is blatently inaccurate!)

well ya, that part of town where the UM dental building locates is sort of "unattractive". But then I think every single city has a part that is like that. Vancouver has its famous downtown eastside too. It's just that UBC campus is far away from that part. But I wonder if Winnipeg has bad security. Coz I see women in shopping malls food courts holding onto their bags so tightly even when eating. I dont' usually see that happening in Vancouver.

are u kidding me? Manitoba doesn't even put OOP on waiting list. If they do, I may have a better chance. (shame on my province (BC) for not protecting the interest of its residents)

Manitoba favours IP applicants by putting only MB residents on the waitlist. So what? If they didn't, almost no MB apps would get in since all of the OOPs have a 3.85 MINIMUM. I'm really surprised UBC has no residency requirement. I wonder if they get less support from Government?

Biochem is a tough course anywhere as far as I know. I definitely found it hard. That said, I know lots of predent / premed students from UWinnipeg who take biochem at UManitoba because its easier at the second year level.

As far as Winnipeg goes, if you are coming from a bigger city like toronto, vancouver, montreal, ottawa or even calgary, winnipeg will seem pretty STAGNANT in comparison. Eyesore? Damn right. Winnipeg has suburbs that are as nice as suburbs anywhere else, but downtown winnipeg is a cesspool rather than a centre of activity, culture, fashion and fun like downtown areas in any of the other cities mentioned above. Argue this point if you want, but there's a reason winnipeg loses young educated people with earning power to more vibrant, attractive cities.

sounds like the big city kid looking down his nose at a smaller city to me :) what would you say about my hometown? there isnt even 10,000 ppl living there? lol. pardon my french, but the saying, "same ****, different pile" comes to mind.

Archived