Premed 101 Forums

Scholarships

Guest DHP62

Guest DHP62

Hi folks,

When I applied to undergrad, I got a substantial scholarship from a school. But the school was just too far away for me so I turned it down. This was one of the school's major entrance scholarship - applied for it, references etc, even had to write a letter as to why I was turning it down. But nontheless, I did turn it down.

But I'm still proud that I got it.

Do you think I can put it down under the "Awards and Accomplishments" section of the OMSAS sketch? I'm guessing not, since I didn't take the scholarship...but I'd appreciate other people's opinions.

Thanks

Guest yoggi

Hi,

I'm not sure what the best thing to do hear is but I can let you know what I did-I also got a large scholarship at a school that I did not attend. I did not put in on my application. I think it's more important to put those scholarships that you actually accepted but that's just my opinion.

Good luck!

Hi, I did the same thing too..

I applied to Western (Richard Ivy) and received several awards/scholarships, but I chose not to go there.

I did not place them in my sketch because although you were awarded them, technically, you didnt "get" them...its kinda like claming you got the Nobel Peace prize when you refused to accept it...(bad example :(

And a second point, supposed you DID place them on your sketch, you would HAVE to say that you DECLINED them, otherwise you would be "providing false/misleading statements which is an offense under the Criminal Code of Canada " (taken right off the OMSAS book)

You could list them all and say DECLINED for all of them though....but you'd have to justify yourself to the adcoms why you chose to not to attend a university that awarded you so much....or it may look kinda arrogant like your too good for them or something...

I don't think there's anything wrong with putting it, as long as you say "declined" - if you think it adds to your application! If it were me reading apps, and somebody said "U of T National Scholarship (declined)" I'd think "wow, that's pretty impressive"... and it's not necessarily a bad thing to talk about why you turned it down, either, if you had good reasons!

My buddy wrote down that he was awarded a major award, and next to it he wrote "declined". He still got into med school (UWO).

I think if you write only one, and it is a major award, then I think you are okay. Just dont fill up the application with declined offers. Make sure to fill it in with other substantial awards and so forth that make that section look even better.

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Better not put the declined scholarships on if they were awarded by the school where you are now trying to get in to Meds!!! You could have a time digging yourself out of that one!

Just something to consider :D

Melissa

Guest DHP62

True true Melissa - good thing it's an OOP school that I'm not applying too :) Although I was thinking I could give them either the "you wanted me then...don't you want me now...pleeease?!" line or the "noooow you can have me" line! :P

JUST JOKES!! hehe

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I'll see how my final sketch looks, and if I can fit it/if it needs it, then I will put it. But if its ok without it (hopefully!), then I'll leave it out.

thanks again

Archived