Premed 101 Forums

Typical schedule for preclinical years

Your schedule will change week to week. You get a shedule before each block.

But in general first years have their PBL1 on Monday mornings and PBL2 Friday mornings. Most of the time you will start class at 8:30...though sometimes you gotta be there at 8:00 and sometimes you get to sleep in. Classes rarely go past 4:00. They try to protect at least one afternoon a week as "elective" time (you can do electives, sleep, go to the gym whatever!)...I think for us 1st year it was Tues afternoons. You will have an afternoon of professional development skills where you learn interview and physical exam skills. Histo/anatomy labs vary depending on the block...you may or may not have labs.

Hopefully that helps...but there really isn`t a typical schedule. Even the block schedule they give you is subject to change and it often does.

So schedules are only given right before the blocks begin? The issue here is that I wanted to start looking for/setting up electives, but I can't really do that until I know when I'd have the time off... so how would I go about doing this?

Yeah, planning your life around scheduled classes is a challenge.

Keep in mind, that the schedule also may change...so you thought you had the afternoon or morning off for an elective and then...you don't!

I have also been scheduled for an elective, showed up, and had them tell me they couldn`t take me that day...that happened to me in 2 different departments.

So...you may decide that your elective is more important than class and just do your elective regardless of having class. Get the notes from someone else. Or try and schedule it so you miss IPH, it doesn`t really matter if you miss those (though the odd one is interesting). The one thing you need to make sure you don`t do..is book the same time as PSD, cause those are mandatory.

This year they tried to give us our schedules a little earlier than before ...so sometime in the week before the block starts. There's also One45, an online timetable that they started this year (but it had some bugs and so I never got into using it), you can sometimes see your schedule earlier, but it will most definitely change by the time the block comes around.

Anyway, can`t help more than that, since we all feel frustrated with the whole schedule situation. But you eventually learn to deal with it.

You probably don`t really need to worry about electives this early though....just settle into D&H and go from there. :)

Ya seriously.. don't stress about organizing electives now, wait until you start D&H.

And if you REALLY want to plan ahead, you can ask the med education office for a schedule of a future block - knowing that its tentative though and might change.

Archived