Premed 101 Forums

out of curiosity... what time did you get the call?... heh you know you're paranoid when... :P

They called me in the early afternoon. I think it's going to be a slower process since they're calling one by one.

I was soooooo shocked when they called! They ended up giving me a slew of instructions which I have since forgotten... lol. But, the condition is that you only have 1 week to reply.

Good luck to everyone! Hope to see you in August! =)

I just got the happy phone call this morning, sooooo relieved and excited!!!!!

hey guys,

I just called the admissions office...they told me that their class is close to being filled right now but they are still sending out offers. I don't why no one will tell us anything about our rank :mad:

wow, I feel so lucky... I guess I am one of the last ones.

Well, its basically because its a hassle on their part. I've come to the conclusion that they don't care much about applicants, and also partly because they don't realize how the system stinks and that it could be improved. Why would they care when there are far more applicants (mostly qualified) than there are seats? I'm still on the waitlist but I'll reject them if they send me an offer.

I think 99% of schools don't release much rank information just to cover their own behind. If someone lower on the lists gets accepted before someone higher up - whatever the reason - it causes admissions offices a lot of headaches. Also, and quite reasonably, they don't want the people right at the brink of getting off the wait list to phone them all the time and harass them.

Of course, if they wanted to help the students. They would have created two waitlist emails. One for the students that will probably make it off (aka 'reviewed favorably'), and one for students that are qualified, but will likely not make it off. That way the student can use his/her judgment as whether they should enroll in another year of undergrad, go for a masters, or find a job. Of course, they leave you in the dark so that you can't make a commitment for anything.

And in our system they leave it to the last minute don't they? You don't know what city you'll be living in in two and a half months or what you are going to be doing. To me, it doesn't sound like a applicant friendly system. It sounds like they wield all the power, and we're just at their mercy.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

There are a number of other serious, objective admissions issues that I am very bitter about. I'm writing a letter to OMSAS and UWO in hopes that maybe the applicants after me will be treated more decently. I'm going to start a thread to get input from other applicants.

As for myself, I am going to the US on full scholarship. So they've lost a good applicant that wanted to stay in Canada.

Here's something that may explain their unwillingness to give out waitlist positions: The admissions coordinator of one school (I won't mention which one) said that their school's waitlist positions are very fluid, ie people don't have a real number. They take into consideration which person has received offers from other med schools before they make people offers off the waitlist. Take this with a grain of salt, since I have a hard time believing they would do that, even after hearing this from the top.

Here's something that may explain their unwillingness to give out waitlist positions: The admissions coordinator of one school (I won't mention which one) said that their school's waitlist positions are very fluid, ie people don't have a real number. They take into consideration which person has received offers from other med schools before they make people offers off the waitlist. Take this with a grain of salt, since I have a hard time believing they would do that, even after hearing this from the top.

Thank you both.

Yeah. I am personally on another waitlist at a top US school that has an unranked waitlist (WashU). Actually, what they did, which is preferable, is that they created two waitlists. One for students that were more likely to get in, and one for students that were less likely. That way you can gauge your chances yourself.

What they do at that school is pick applicants based ones that have dropped out. They have for instance a quota they'd like to see of women/African Americans/people in non-science/research oriented students etc... and when one of those students declines an offer, they take a look at the waitlist and try and pick a similar applicant. Not sure if this is really a good way of doing things, but that is how they work the waitlist.

So while I didnt get the results I wanted from my visit to admissions, I did get some news that was kind of good. Apparently they have only been making a few phone calls per day to contact people off the wait list. There hasnt been a massive surge/rush of calls since the deadline. The secretary there (not darla, she wasn't in today... just my luck) didn't know how much of the list they had gone through, but she said when the class does fill up, they will say so on their website.

So keep hoping everyone, the class isn't done yet.

Hey,

Does anyone have any updated info regarding Western's waitlist??

I have another question about the waitlist, if you get an offer off the waitlist at another school (i.e. Queens), and you accept that offer, does that mean that you will be automatically removed from Western's waitlist?? Or is it possible to accept an offer and still remain on the Western wait list to see if they will get to my name before the beginning of the school year??

Any advise and/or speculation would be greatly appreciated.

if you got in off of one, and preferred another, why not contact the school you prefer and tell them the situation you're in. I think being in a position like that makes it a somewhat legitimate inquisition to see where your spot is. ie i assume you've got a week or two to respond to the queens offer... so if there is a point in waiting it out, they may tell you to hold on before accepting the queens offer.

Hi Dante,

Thanks for the suggestions. I did contact Western and told them about my situation. They said that they will not release waitlist info under any circumstances. Queens only gave me 3 days to respond. So there definitely isn't much time to sit and wait to see what will happen with Western.

Hi Dante,

Thanks for the suggestions. I did contact Western and told them about my situation. They said that they will not release waitlist info under any circumstances. Queens only gave me 3 days to respond. So there definitely isn't much time to sit and wait to see what will happen with Western.

aww... well congratulations on Queen's! Better to be at one than none! It seems as thought the schools have become much less flexible with regards to releasing waitlist info... I came across some posts a few months back from people who are in the Queens/Western 2010 class who said they were in some awkward situations last year and they contacted admissions and were told that they stood a pretty good chance of getting an offer (and eventually did get one). Of course maybe the response of the school depends on your position... ie if you're really close they'll tell you that you are, and if not they'll just say that they can't say anything... OR they just universally don't say anything this year... who knows... Congrats nevertheless! Queen's is an amazing school IMO.

Archived