Premed 101 Forums

Car Insurance?

Hey WhiteTiger,

A lot of people in my class (me included) get our car insurance at Dale Parizeau (DPLM). They will beat by 10% the lowest price you can find(as long as you're a med student). When I signed up, they also had an offer on which they gave you $250 if you bought new winter tires (not sure if it's still valid though). Their rates are really good. Just to give you an idea, at 26, male, on a 2006 civic, I pay 700 tax included, both sides :) Pretty hard to beat!

Max

Edit: here's the link: http://www.dplm.com/etudiants_medecine/default.htm

Apparently, they still offer the winter tire deal (they need to have been bought 6 months before signing, or 6 months after for the deal to be valid).

Hey WhiteTiger,

A lot of people in my class (me included) get our car insurance at Dale Parizeau (DPLM). They will beat by 10% the lowest price you can find(as long as you're a med student). When I signed up, they also had an offer on which they gave you $250 if you bought new winter tires (not sure if it's still valid though). Their rates are really good. Just to give you an idea, at 26, male, on a 2006 civic, I pay 700 tax included, both sides :) Pretty hard to beat!

Holy crap...I pay $3700/year for a 2003 Civic...with comprehensive and collision insurance in the package.

Holy crap...I pay $3700/year for a 2003 Civic...with comprehensive and collision insurance in the package.

How old are you? If you are under 25, it costs a lot more for insurance because you are in a higher risk bracket. It also depends on your province. The key is to shop around.

Currently I pay $1800 for myself and my girlfriend on a 2004 Echo Hatch RS, full everything and $1,000,000 liability. That's as a 24 year old. I'm insured as a 25 year old coming this fall (I was 24 last fall when I renewed). The insurance company told me to expect a fairly big drop in my rates. I'm with TD Melloch Monnex.

The CMA may have a group rate with an insurance company. I got my insurance from our group plan with PEGNL (NL's Professional Engineering governing body).

How old are you? If you are under 25, it costs a lot more for insurance because you are in a higher risk bracket. It also depends on your province. The key is to shop around.

Currently I pay $1800 for myself and my girlfriend on a 2004 Echo Hatch RS, full everything and $1,000,000 liability. That's as a 24 year old. I'm insured as a 25 year old coming this fall (I was 24 last fall when I renewed). The insurance company told me to expect a fairly big drop in my rates. I'm with TD Melloch Monnex.

I'm 22. It doesn't work like that in BC though. It goes not by age, but by the number of years of driving experience without an accident. I have a 10% discount right now off the base rate...but still, that's a huge difference.

Y'know what I love? Crown corporations.

23 year old single male, 2004 Civic: $1200.

I promise to never, ever complain about my insurance rates.

hey, could you tell me a bit more about this?

I'm not a med student (yet, lol) but just curious how your rate is pretty good for your situation!

• 2 weeks later...
Recognize your 'special status'?!

You facking twat, being in med school does not make you special.

I'm a janitor. Worst job ever. Do I get special deals?

I don't see why I'm replying to a troll. But in general, med students tend to be more responsible than your average 22-23 yr old, and hence, this should be considered a "less risky" category. Besides, if you work on the same principle as the banks, they likely want to start insuring you now so that when you become a doctor and drive that expensive mercedes, they already have your business and your money coming in...

I don't see why I'm replying to a troll. But in general, med students tend to be more responsible than your average 22-23 yr old, and hence, this should be considered a "less risky" category. Besides, if you work on the same principle as the banks, they likely want to start insuring you now so that when you become a doctor and drive that expensive mercedes, they already have your business and your money coming in...

It's more likely that you would get a discount because the CMA or one of the provincial associations has a discount group plan with an insurance company. The whole "more mature" thing is highly debatable and, I expect, not backed up by data. Insurance companies work on data and hard numbers.

Professional Association Group Plan is how I got my rate at Melloch Monnex. PEGNL has one with them.

Archived