Premed 101 Forums

Laptop for this year

Does anyone know which tablet(s) will be offered for this year?

I'm hoping we will have the choice to pick the new tablet X60 (X61 in U.S.), which has Intel core 2 duo (1.5/1.6 GHz) CPU and available SXGA (1400 X 1050) screen.

Also, are we able to opt for non-tablet version of the laptop?

Thanks in advance,

DD

Does anyone know which tablet(s) will be offered for this year?

I'm hoping we will have the choice to pick the new tablet X60 (X61 in U.S.), which has Intel core 2 duo (1.5/1.6 GHz) CPU and available SXGA (1400 X 1050) screen.

Also, are we able to opt for non-tablet version of the laptop?

Thanks in advance,

DD

Word is on the street that it'll be the x60, being as the x41 is now considered somewhat obsolete. You definitely don't need to buy the laptop if you don't want to. You just need a laptop running windows XP and you can just take it to medtech and they'll put the pbl software on it for you. Other than that, there is nothing you can't do on the tablet that can't be done on a normal laptop.

That being said, many students in my class are glad they got the tablet simply for the fact that it is convenient to write on PPT slides and in Word. I use the tablet from time to time, but it isn't as good for me as it is for others. The deciding factor for me was the weight. My old laptop weighed > 6lbs and I guarantee you won't want to be carrying this around with you 8hrs/day for 9 months. The 4lb weight of the lenovo is just amazing. You can check out the review of the x60 at CNET:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-x60s/4505-3121_7-31786426.html

An 8hr battery life is just unheard of these days. Just send medtech an email and ask them what the laptop version is for the new class. medtech_at_uottawa.ca.

Hmm I'd like to change the "word" on the x60 after checking out some of the prices. Seems like that bad boy hovers around $2500-3000 USD, depending on the configuration, so it looks like it could be the x41 again. Don't let that $2700 price fool you either. I was surprised when I looked at the bill. The laptop itself cost about $2000, the external CD/DVD burner was $250, the license for M$ Word was $175, and when you add tax on that, it came out to $2700 or so. That being said, the model was more expensive for Meds09, less expensive for us (Meds10), and it'll be less expensive for Meds11, if in fact that is still the current model medtech is using.

With respect to batteries, what I have done, and I think my battery is doing just fine, is to only use the battery when necessary. At home and in Amph D (where we have most of our classes) I use the power cord with the battery removed. When I do use the battery, I try to go home, drain it all the way and then charge it completely. Just a few words of 'wisdom'.

Spoke to medtech via email and they're trying to negotiate the x61 with Lenovo. We might be in for quite a powerful laptop :)

Boooo for that idea :P I'd love the option to pay a bit of money and upgrade from the x41 to the x61 if that were the case, but alas I think it shant be so.

Archived