Premed 101 Forums

LOC interest rate

Be aware that you can negotiate the details of your LOC. From the day you get accepted to dent till the day you die, banks will be fighting each other for your business. Make them earn it. Accept no rate higher than prime. Ask that the entire amount be available to you all at once. Make sure they extend the prime rate after you graduate.

yea, dont be afraid to assert yourselfs! banks in canada are seen as institutions because they are protected by the givt, but in the end, they are businesses and all things can be negotiated, especially when youre going to be a professional. if they dont give you what you want, go somewhere else and tell them that youre very disappointed they cant accommodate you.

RBC is prime (6%)....They are only giving me 35K / year. I was completely disappointed by that but I didnt push for more because I think in the end I will spend needlessly if I get the whole thing at once. If I feel I don't have much, I can always get more money ...

Just a note for you guys to think about when you get into the banks

Hey Rick

Not sure man, I met this really stern lady who was all business with me as if she was doing me a favor by giving me the LOC...

Anyway, I was in a rush so I didn't bother arguing. The only thing I wanted to ensure was that I get the whole 150 K which I did get. I feel more comfortable with yearly instalments just based on my spending habits.

well, this stuff depends on the individual too. If your credit rating is poor, or you dont have one, they arent going to hand you cash. And how much they want to give and all that also depends on how the bank is doing with their other loans and loc's etc. If they are getting screwed every which way from Sunday by their customers not paying on time in that particular quarter, they are reluctant to give money out, no matter what the bank rep says or does, it ends up just being a numbers game. So another reason to shop around, I had this happen with another loc my wife and i got years ago, the manager of a cibc went to bat for us, but to no avail, went to rbc, no problem. Then when we moved and re did our mortgage, cibc gave us a better offer for everything, its just a numbers game, banks are just businesses.

• 2 weeks later...

for the major banks (cibc, royal) the individual branches are controlled by a central executive (eww, sounds like cog psych). The branches filter all decisions to them or are told what to do by them, the days of a branch manager giving you something extra because he/she likes you is over.

Archived