Premed 101 Forums

GPA Calculation

Guest hringrose

Guest hringrose

Hi,

I just have a question about GPA calculation:

I went to a school that is in category 3 on the OMSAS grade conversion scale. It says marks of 85-89 are 3.9 and 90+ are 4.0 Does that mean any mark above 90 is considered to be 4 or could it be something like 3.95? I am wondering this because some people are claiming to have GPAs of 3.86 and I don't know how they get the second decimal point!

Also, do you think someone with a 29R MCAT 8V 11P 10B should bother to apply to Western or Queens this summer?

Thanks

Guest peachy

Every mark about 90 is a 4.0. People get GPA's of 3.86 by averaging ALL their courses.. E.g. if half your courses are a 4.0, and half are a 3.9, then your overall GPA will be a 3.95, even though there's no 3.95 on the scale.

If it was me, I would apply to all the schools I was interested in attending regardless. Just because I know that on the off chance that the MCAT cutoffs got lowered, I'd feel badly if I hadn't applied. UWO doesn't require any essay, and the Queen's essay can be cut and pasted from Toronto or Mac's if you're already applying to them. So it's not too much extra work.

But that's just me - you have to decide what's a priority for you. :)

Archived