Premed 101 Forums

General Surgery for an IMG

Hi All,

I'm a Canadian student and I'm going to begin my first year of medicine at a East European medical school.

Do you have any tips/advice/information about what Cdn IMGs (Canadian citizens who have completed MD in Europe) will face when applying for General Surgery Residency through CaRms??

I'm aware that very limited number of positions are available to IMGs which is why I want to what I should do starting now in order to make a strong CaRms app for General Surgery.

Thanks very much!

Hi All,

I'm a Canadian student and I'm going to begin my first year of medicine at a East European medical school.

Do you have any tips/advice/information about what Cdn IMGs (Canadian citizens who have completed MD in Europe) will face when applying for General Surgery Residency through CaRms??

I'm aware that very limited number of positions are available to IMGs which is why I want to what I should do starting now in order to make a strong CaRms app for General Surgery.

Thanks very much!

Hi,

There are at least two things that I'd try to do if I were you: 1) make some contacts within Gen Surg at the centre(s) that are of interest to you; 2) more specifically, try to do some research projects with them and also, schedule some elective time over here. Having people know you and vouch for you will be invaluable and you can get on this quite early in your medical school training.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi Kirsteen,

Thanks very much for the info!

I was actually planning on doing as many clinical rotations as I can, in Canada. I'd imagine that's be a great way to make contacts and try to impress them early on.

I'm not sure when I'd find the time to do research projects. How is research conducted from your experience? (ie: Can you do it while you're doing your clinical rotations or does it have to be over the summer?)

Thanks again!

Archived