Premed 101 Forums

OMAS GPA HELP

Guest Gem2005

Guest Gem2005

Hi everyone,

I have a little difficulty understanding how to calculate my overall GPA. See my university GPA is on a 4.3 scale and I know most schools look at Gpa on a 4.0 scale, does it make a huge difference ?

At first I though that I had to substract my Gpa of 0.3 to get to the 4.0 scale, but that doesen't make sense, because I would be penalized for getting A pluses (we have A plus as 4.3 versus A= 4.0). So then I though of converting all my A pluses to A's. Can someone please help! I want to know if I make the cutoff's for certain school's and I need to know what my Gpa on 4.3 scale means on 4.0! Thanks in advance!

Guest doctorfunk

Hi Gem2005,

You need to calculate your GPA based on OMSAS' 4.0 scale, which means it has nothing to do with the system your university uses. There is a conversion chart on the OMSAS website that allows you to convert your numerical grade into a value based on the 4.0 scale. Here it is:

www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/conversion.pdf

Guest quebecboy

Hey Gem,

Since your GPA is on a 4.3 scale, do you come from quebec? If so, where do you study and did you apply to the quebec schools this year?

Quebecboy

Guest UWOMED2005

Hmm. . . my undergrad school (King's college/Dal) used a 4.3 system as well. You don't subtract or take a percentage off. As the OMSAS chart shows, all marks are the same except for 'A's (3.9 rather than 4.0) and 'A'+s (4.0 rather than 4.3).

Relative to the 4.30 scale, you're not getting as much credit for As and A+s under the 4.0 scale.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest premed81

Hi,

I am so glad to find a forum like this because applying to medical school is very stressful. I would like to know if anyone else is in a similar situation to me. I just completed my third year at UTM (University of Toronto at Mississauga). In my third year, I took a course that lasted a full year (so it ran from Sept to April), but because of how ridiculous UTM can be, they only give you 0.5 credit for this full year course. So on my transcript, I have half a credit less than 5.0 credits for third year, but the amount of courses I took is equivalent to a full year. So can I use my third year as a full year? Thank you to anyone who responds.

Guest UTMed07

premed81:

I took a course that lasted a full year (so it ran from Sept to April), but because of how ridiculous UTM can be, they only give you 0.5 credit for this full year course.

That sounds pretty strange. Are you sure that full year course you took is really a 1/2 credit? Could the transcript be wrong?

If it isn't a mistake you might be in trouble. The OMSAS Requirements Chart specifies you need three full years. Get on this right away and figure-out what the situation is... you may be able to get into a summer course and fix this if things are as you describe. Medical schools generally aren't very forgiving when it comes to requirements.

Guest peachy

I'd email OMSAS and ask them if I were you - they're pretty good about responding fairly quickly. Was there a reason why the course was only 0.5 credits? Was it only 1.5 hours per week of class, instead of three?

Guest JSS02

Definitely check with OMSAS to be sure. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be counted as a full year. You specifically need 5.0 credits, and 5 courses that run for the full year is not the same. At U of T St. George there is a biochemistry lab course that runs for the full year but you only get half a credit because of the # of hours. Everyone I know of who took that course needed to take another half credit on top of that to maintain a full course load.

Guest aneliz

JSS02 is right...at UWO you need 5.0 full or equivalent credits to be counted as a full year. The number of courses is irrelevant...you could have 2 courses worth 2.5 each and that would be a full year or you could have 20 courses worth 0.25 each and that would be a full year....having 4.5 is not a full year, even if you did take five 'courses' for the full year.

Guest premed81

Hey everyone,

I've been researching into that 4.5 credits thing so I'll let you know what I find out. To be honest though, I've also been looking into American Medical schools. I think our chances are better there.

Guest bad hombre

you'd be surprised... people often underestimate theirr odds at getting in here. If you make the GPA and MCAT cutoffs at ontario's schools that require the mcat (toronto, queen's, and uwo) you have ~50% shot, whereas POST-interview in the states your odds drop to about 1/3. If you're really set on the states, I'd recommend applying to a few Canadian ones as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest premed81

Hi bad hombre,

That's just the thing though, I don't think I (and many other hopefuls) do make the cutoff. I will do my MCAT this August, but most Ontario schools require you make BOTH the GPA and MCAt cutoffs. At least with American schools, from what I hear, they are not "rigid" with any GPA cutoff and they look at you and your efforts all around. I'd be ecstatic to get into an Ontario (or even any Canadian) school, but the odds really do seem against me (and others). I would like to add that I do think there are differences in the grading and level of difficulty and demand of courses in different schools. I go to UTM which is a school that doesn't want to be considered a joke so it makes it its mission to not hand out high marks regularly. But this is for another thread.....thanks for the encouragement anyways.

Guest Shahenshah

didn't see this post earlier..but I took a yr without the full 5 (I took 4.5 credits) credits and it was perfectly fine as just remember for a lot of schools its the cut-off that matters..for ottawa if you have less than 4 credits, then its not full year and won't be included in the wgpa..I stressed a lot about that yr not being a full year (btw I didn't take the full credit in my first year cause I was clearly stupid then as I just preffered playing ball instead:) and didn't check up on the requirements then:) )..but a rule of thumb is to ALWAYS take 5 credits all the years as it saves you needless anxiety later on in case they change rules etc..but if you didn't take it one year, don't worry there is still a lot of hope if the rest of your application is strong

Archived