Premed 101 Forums

SKETCH QUESTION

Guest bmw

I won a research scholarship in this summer, how should I enter it? Under research, employment, awards? To me, it fits in all those three categories. Any advice? Thanks.

Guest tirisa

Hi BMW,

You are right that it could fit under each category, but I would most certainly put it under "awards", since a scholarship is generally an award for past achievement. Congralations, by the way.

The actual research that you end up doing for the summer could also be included in your sketch (under either employment or research, I guess), but with a more descriptive entry that outlines the area in which you were working.

What do others think??

Cheers,

T

Guest peachy

It depends where you are applying. I think Ottawa requires NSERC USRA's (and similar awards) in the awards section. The other schools let you pick yourself. I wasn't applying to Ottawa, so I chose to put summer research awards in the "research" section because I wanted to fill up that section more.

Thanks guys. Just wondering, can I use this three times in the sketch? It is an award, summer job and research experience for me, not lying.

Guest peachy

I only listed mine once for each summer, as research. You might be able to get away with an award plus either research or a summer job, but I think three times would definitely be pushing it. :)

Personally, I would be careful about doing something like that. I've never read medical school applications, but I have judged applications for various other things, and if I notice that somebody seems to be padding their application in one place, then I would look at the rest of their application that much more skeptically...

Ottawa, iirc, has very specific rules about how to categorize things in your sketch. If you're applying there, then you need to follow their rules, so your questions might no longer be relevant.

Guest batman

I agree with Peachy - writing the same thing under 3 different sections doesn't sound like a good idea at all... I also didn't apply to Ottawa, so I put NSERC's all under 'research' - and only under research. I'd stick with placing it in 1-2 categories, even if you feel it deserves more - otherwise, that might be looking for trouble. You can always elaborate on it during your interviews and/or essay(s).

Guest thelaze

I don't know about using it three times, but I had two summer jobs in (separate) research projects and after careful consideration I listed each job twice under employment and under research, since I felt I would be short-changing myself to follow the limitations of the OMSAS categories. The important thing, however, it that I made it as clear as possible that the listings were the same and not just me trying to pad my sketch. I wrote them out identically - indicating that they were *jobs* (ie, not a thesis or award), and also academic research projects I participated in. Of course I used the same verifiers too, etc.

I was fully prepared to defend my choice in an interview, but it was never necessary. I just didn't want OMSAS's rather questionable categorizing of activities to compromise my app. If you feel the same way, you should go for it. Just make sure you don't look like you're trying to get away with anything devious. Be up front and honest. No one can say you tried to hide anything if you clearly didn't.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blinknoodle

I have a similar situation, having worked 4 separate summers in a research lab. For the past two summers, I've been supervising and training the new summer and thesis students. I really wanted to stick this tidbit in employment, and my actual research titles under research. Now, I am a little tight on space (I have to cut down quite a few activities to make it to 48), so should cut out this duplication?

Thanks!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I'd say cut down on the duplication and just extend the dates around your lab experience to 4 years rather than entering the same thing 4 times- if anyone asks, you can always clarify, but such a question would only ever come up at an interview, so by then you'd be halfway there! :)

Just my thoughts.

BEst of luck!

TImmy

Archived