Premed 101 Forums

Secondaries help!

I was planning on volunteering abroad from Aug. 18-31 and I am planning to submit my primary to AMCAS by next week. I got a little bit worried when I realized that I might miss my secondaries when I am volunteering abroad. So could somebody please tell me if there is a deadline to complete the secondaries and if it would still be a good idea to go abroad?:eek:

Thanks for the info

2 weeks is fine. Also, many secondaries can be completed online, so for those being out of town is not an issue as long as you have access to the internet.

I don't remember what the deadlines are, I think it's generally end of November or beginning February...either way, a good # of months after August.

even if a deadline says FEB...you really really don't want to be submitting secondaries in feb!! classes can be pretty full by that point

i really suggest trying to be complete at all schools during sept or october at the latest.

you can just get the ball rolling (some interviews before dec) and hopefully that will be good prep if you guys get some interviews in canada!

perhaps you can even get an acceptance before may 15th! and trust me, that will feel pretty damn good while you experience extreme senioritis (or whatever you may be doing at the time)

Some schools give you a firm deadline, i.e. you have 3 weeks to complete it from the day you received it. That's rare though. Most schools give you until their final deadline, which ranges from November to January, to complete it.

++ northwestern comes to mind. they give you 2 weeks to get your secondary, fee, and letters of reference in. i believe they can be flexible with the LOR deadline though (depending on the month, e.g., might not be as flexible come october, but may be flexible if your deadline was august and they know profs are away).

Archived