Premed 101 Forums

Upcoming application

Hi,

I was wondering if I should even bother applying to U of T with a OMSAS calculation of around 3.4. Will I directly be rejected because i don't meet the minimum requirement of 3.6. Or do they look at the entire application.

I think I can make up for the low GPA with the non-academic section.

I have volunteer work at various organizations, research experience (including co-authorship on a paper), etc.

Hi,

I was wondering if I should even bother applying to U of T with a OMSAS calculation of around 3.4. Will I directly be rejected because i don't meet the minimum requirement of 3.6. Or do they look at the entire application.

I think I can make up for the low GPA with the non-academic section.

I have volunteer work at various organizations, research experience (including co-authorship on a paper), etc.

Did you have a full course load every year in university? If yes, you just MIGHT make it past the 3.6. (but even then you still have a long way to go).

yes, i did have a full course load and now have finished my degree.

I was just wondering if you are rejected rite away if you don't have a gpa of 3.6 or they will still look at your complete application but since your gpa is low, you might have to make it up in your extracurriculars.

yes, i did have a full course load and now have finished my degree.

I was just wondering if you are rejected rite away if you don't have a gpa of 3.6 or they will still look at your complete application but since your gpa is low, you might have to make it up in your extracurriculars.

As far as I know, if you are an undergrad, the 3.60 cut is strict. (on the other hand, the MCAT cut isn't). Since you have a full course load every year, what's your GPA average then using the U of T formula?

after dropping 8 of my lowest courses (virtually all of first year) my gpa is 3.56. I failed two courses first year due to some circumstances which i will explain during my application. My second yr was mediocre and my third yr was around 3.8 and fourth yr was 3.98.

If the two failed courses are not taken into account since I didn't receive any credit for them and i drop other 8 courses, I meet the minimum of 3.6.

Umm...i think UofT's calculation drops your lowest 2 courses per year, not gives you a chance to drop a number of your lowest courses equal to 2 per year of undergrad.

I don't know about failing a course though and its GPA calculation. That's an interesting predicament. Maybe you should ask the admissions office about that.

Umm...i think UofT's calculation drops your lowest 2 courses per year, not gives you a chance to drop a number of your lowest courses equal to 2 per year of undergrad.

No. U of T drops 1.0 FCE for every year you had a full course load, provided that every year you have had a full course load. The credits dropped can be from any year.

i.e. If you have just graduated from a honours degree (four years), you can drop 4.0 FCE (or 8 half courses).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I did email the ADCOM with ?'s about gpa. No answer. I guess with a 3.56 according to their calculation, I am out of luck. Would they still review my file even tho i don't have a gpa of 3.6

well if you look at the published stats for UofT admissions (on their website somewhere) you can see that there was people with a 3.4 getting in (not determined whether they're grad or not) UofT doesn't specifically say that they have a cutoff... just that anything below a 3.6 and a 9 9 9 mcat will 'raise flags'.

also in past years, it was possible to ask for special consideration to be allowed the gpa formula if you didn't have a full courseload each year for whatever reason. you had to send a separate letter to UofT, and you recieve absolutely no indication of whether your request was granted or not. I agree that the 100 character space is ridiculous if anyone has any serious comment to make... on the other hand i guess it cuts down on them having to read long winded stories from people who like to make excuses for everything.

• 3 weeks later...

should i be as specific as possible while explaining why i took a BIG HIT in one semester since i am restricted to only a mere 100 words and maybe add in a sentence or two how it changed me.

The thing is I did have extensive family problems (parent's almost getting to a point of divorce) because of some excruciating circumstances but I don't wish to go into complete details about what happened since it is a little embarassing. However, I did learn a lot from it and how to deal with problems and in my final two years with a full course load got a good gpa (3.9).

Any help with regards to what i should put in the letter would be helpful.

Also, can i send in another letter to them besides the online paragraph with regards to this.

Is it possible to leave the "I feel my transcript is representative of my true abilities" box blank? It seems like I have to write something (even just a "No.") in order to get the form to understand I've filled it out.

mmm i have the same question. what if you're happy with your transcript...does it sound bad to simply say that i have no regrets about my transcript? or should we talk about how numbers only mean so much...and we are so much more :D ?

ie is this section only for people who screwed up academically for a semester or two?

Archived