Premed 101 Forums

UBC - organic chem

Hello,

I looked at a few US Med Schools' webpages and notice they all want/recommend a full year of bio/chem/orgo chem/math/physics/english.

Any UBC grads applying to US schools?

Does Chem 123 count as orgo? I took Chem 233 with 235 but that is a 3 credit lecture plus 1 credit lab, not a full year orgo. I also took Chem 205.

Any insight would be awesome! Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JJ. That's pretty frustrating. I did a BSc. in the "life sciences", so we're not even allowed to take the 203/204 route. The only thing I can look into now, I guess, is taking more orgo after I've graduated. :(

But ya, I will go ahead and contact the schools individually. Thanks!

does ubc teach both inorganic and organic chemistry during its first year and second year chems? i'm not sure how it really works at ubc, but at sfu first year required chems are all inorganic and second year required chems are organic. As long as ur chem classes consistently teach half orgo and half inorganic, i think you should be fine.

the nice thing about US schools is that they are flexible and understanding..a lot of times they'll take substitutes for requirements as long as the courses are similar in nature.

________

Honda Type R specifications

When I applied to UAlberta last yr, (they require 2 semesters of OChem) they used my CHEM 123 as a course to meet that requirement. Not sure if that helps.

A problem tho is that some US schools require 2 credits worth of OChem labs. I'm doing the supplementary for WashU in St. Louis, and they require you to fill out the prereq courses. I'm not sure what I am going to do to fill up the Chem requirements! (you need a total of 4 credits with chemistry labs. 2 for inorganic, 2 for organic) :S

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know!!

Archived