Premed 101 Forums

Should I just give up?

Hi

I'm a newbie to this forum. I was searching for information on applying to med schools and I found this forum.

I just finished my first year at queen's (life sci) and I got 75.5 average.

This is mainly because of physics and the elective courses I took during the year. I did very poorly in these courses.

I am not going to be taking physics again and I am confident that I will be able to get higher marks in coming years.

However, the GPA requirements for med schools were around 3.7 and schools like Queen's calculate all 4 years of undergrad studies.

The OMSAS conversion table tells me that 75.5 at Queen's falls under GPA of 3. Due to this fact, I have to get 3.93 GPA in 2nd,3rd, and 4th years which I think will be nearly impossible.

Do I still have a shot? or should I turn to something else and not waste my time?

It would be great if someone who's had a similar experience could help.

Thanks in advance!

Two thoughts:

1) You say your GPA is a 75.5, converting into a 3.0 using the OMSAS conversion. Did you convert each course first, then get the average, or did you just convert 75.5 -> 3.0? I don't know if that would make any difference, but maybe it might.

2) Check out the GPA requirements for each school, as outlined many times on these boards, as well on the individual school's admission sites. Queen's clearly states, for example, that your GPA for the last two years has to be a 3.78 in order to qualify your receiving an interview invitation. If you're applying in fourth year, they wouldn't even look at your first year marks. I think Ottawa has a similar formula where your first year is weighted to a lesser degree than more recent years, and Toronto will drop a course from each year (?) if you've taken a full course load (disclaimer: this info is being recalled from a few years ago when I applied). In other words, not all is lost. Check out what schools' requirements will work for you, and try to have that nice upward trend in your marks in the following terms.

Good luck!

Short answer : No, you shouldn't just give up if med's what you really want. Waaay to early for that ;)

Longer answer :

schools like Queen's calculate all 4 years of undergrad studies.

Queens looks at your best 2 yrs if you don't meet the 4yr cutoff. As flying kumquat mentioned, other schools have systems where they don't count 1rst year or your worse I-don't-know-how-many credits, which would totally help with a problematic 1rst year GPA. If you don't count the lower physics & electives marks, do you meet the cutoffs or close? If so, don't worry. Just work on getting med school marks in the following years. If they're still not close to cutoffs, maybe re-evaluate your study methods, find ways to improve. Worse comes to worse, you can always do a 5th year or a masters and try again. Not everyone gets in on the first try, and waiting an extra year or two shouldn't be a big deal if you really want med :)

Good luck and don't worry too much at this point!

thank you all!

i've tried the method of converting each courses and now i have 3.1 which isn't much different from 3.

but i am confident I will do better in coming years so i still have a hope

i'm going to be studying 2nd year courses (got some of my books) and prepare for mcat this summer(kaplan 07-08 premiere)

i'm planning on studying with examkracker books after i finish kaplan and i'm going to take the TPR MCAT courses next summer(May-July). If so, do you think it'd be wise to take the MCAT test in august 08' (right after taking MCAT courses and) before going into 3rd year? or take the test in June 09' after 3rd year?

Also, if anybody could recommend any other summer plans that might help me in preparing for med school (such as EC), it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Edit: BTW i've got a question for EC at school. I'm not very athletic (I was a premature baby and I was sick a lot of times as a kid, thus no competitive sports experience)but I like doing yoga, and I've also joined the school's Judo club. Do they still count as EC even though I don't go to competitions or anything?

I am really worried about not having enough EC. I will be a house(residence) president next year and I think this may take up a lot of my time. I know people say join something you enjoy, but are there any clubs that would be beneficial in entering med school?

In regards to the MCAT many will suggest to take into the summer before entering into third year. This will allow you to retake it again before fourth year if you majorly flunk.

For ecs, people just say enjoy a variety of clubs and activities that 'you' enjoy.

thank you all!

i've tried the method of converting each courses and now i have 3.1 which isn't much different from 3.

but i am confident I will do better in coming years so i still have a hope

i'm going to be studying 2nd year courses (got some of my books) and prepare for mcat this summer(kaplan 07-08 premiere)

i'm planning on studying with examkracker books after i finish kaplan and i'm going to take the TPR MCAT courses next summer(May-July). If so, do you think it'd be wise to take the MCAT test in august 08' (right after taking MCAT courses and) before going into 3rd year? or take the test in June 09' after 3rd year?

Also, if anybody could recommend any other summer plans that might help me in preparing for med school (such as EC), it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Edit: BTW i've got a question for EC at school. I'm not very athletic (I was a premature baby and I was sick a lot of times as a kid, thus no competitive sports experience)but I like doing yoga, and I've also joined the school's Judo club. Do they still count as EC even though I don't go to competitions or anything?

I am really worried about not having enough EC. I will be a house(residence) president next year and I think this may take up a lot of my time. I know people say join something you enjoy, but are there any clubs that would be beneficial in entering med school?

With the computer based testing, you can take the MCAT after 3rd year and can still have time to re-do it if you dont score well before application deadlines. In the past when it was only offered twice a year, students chose to do it after 2nd year because it would give them time to re-do it after 3rd year in case they didn't do well. That's not a problem anymore since it's offered many more times during the year. In the end, it's really up to you and what you feel most comfortable with. If you feel ready to take it after 2nd year then go for it and get it out of the way!

Regarding ECs, no you don't have to be a member of a varsity sports team for it to count as an EC. Extracurriculars = things you do outside of academic work. It can be anything - clubs, sports you play for fun etc.

Hope this helps.

I've heard summer after third year is a great time to write you MCAT - all the science comes from your first two years so it's fresh in your mind. I used the Kaplan and Examkrackers and both were great - I like EK I little better for their Physics and Chem parts (Kaplan Bio was better).

I had a really rough first year - lower than 70%, and still tried to get in - one year wont do you in, especially your first two (and depends on where you apply).

Wish you all the best!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey OP

Its ok, I did poorly in physics in first year and I am at queen's :D it is to this day bringing my gpa down but not to worry you hvae plenty of time

Watch out for second year is my only advice, anat215 is not forgiving. It is a fun course and you will learn A LOT but do NOT slack off! attend class, and if Mackenzie is teaching it still then you are set.

Also take EXTRA care from MBIO218, it was a 3rd year course that killed many of my friend's gpa, but make sure you don't suffer the same fate. Go to the classes, stay on top of the work, and attend the tutorials. The midterm is what you really have to fear, Bendena usually repeats most of his Q's.

Those are the first steps towards an excellent second year, best of luck to you

Ps 75.5 average isnt necessarily a 3.0, it can be higher, remember to calculate gpa the omsas way

Also OP, I strongly suggest taking it in the summer after second year. I assure you that the courses you will take in second year will make you LOL at the BS section of the MCAT. It is a great time to take it IMO for a queen's student, the PHGY, ANAT, and MBIO will be fresh in your head and really help you out and the PS section won't be so bad since its only been 1 year since Phys and gen chem

Archived