Premed 101 Forums

P/T Studies - Calculating wGPA

Long time reader, first post.

I have a question for anyone who knows about calculating GPA. Here is my situation:

Straight out of high school, I enrolled in a science program, but my performance was abismal: I dropped out and started on my career. A couple years later, I went back to school part time, through distance ed, and completed a 4 year degree with decent marks (mid '80s). I only did about 3 courses per term. I only completed 19 courses at my graduating university, the remainder were transferred from my initial university attempt. My 4 year degree is along my career path, but totally unrelated to medicine so I decided to complete some biology courses to prove to the admissions commitee that I can actualy do science.

Does anyone have any idea how they would evaluate my credentials? Will they look at my courses from my non-graduating university? Will my current courses be included in the GPA?

That's great advice. Thanks.

I am currently doing some undergrad biol courses at UW, so I'd have about 10 undergrad courses or so (biochem, mol biol, physiology, etc.) but I might get into a masters program in biophysics in the fall which would derail my undergrad course plans....but I'd get an extra 0.2 on the GPA.

Bede,

Keep in mind that you won't get the added 0.2 to your wgpa for pretty much any school unless you have graduated from it. So, if you get into the program and by the time of your application you haven't got the degree in your hand, from my knowledge you don't get the extra 0.2 points to your gpa. It will add to your experience base and that counts for something though :)

LtD :)

LtD,

From what I understand, that is correct. However, if you wanted your masters to count, would you have to take a year off between masters and MD since you must apply by september, but you wouldn't have your masters in hand until April? Could they give you conditional acceptance?

Thx

Hi Bede,

From my understanding, they'll look at the course work you do in your Master's and they take into consideration the great experience going through your Master's entails. You can get into NOSM without having finished your Master's...it's just that the extra 0.2 won't be counted unless you have finished the Master's...I can look into what happens if you're slated to graduate the year you apply, but haven't yet.

Cheers

LtD :)

Archived