Premed 101 Forums

Publications

I had a question regarding publications.

I got some data for my supervisor, i'm not the first author but the manuscript was just submitted. Should I wait until I hear if the manuscript is accepted before submitting my primary app, or should I just submit it now?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

sprite

I had a question regarding publications.

I got some data for my supervisor, i'm not the first author but the manuscript was just submitted. Should I wait until I hear if the manuscript is accepted before submitting my primary app, or should I just submit it now?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

sprite

Hey sprite! gratz on that. I working in a cancer research lab (scientific based not clinical trial related) what I did hear is that it may time a lot of time to process a paper from when you have submitted. I've heard that it takes ~1 month for the panel to look it over and evaluate it, then they may return it with possibly few comments for revision. When you revise you send it in again and then it will eventually get accepted.

Papers can even take up to 2 month for evaluation! It may not be worth waiting for..but that depends on a few things. Other things that are incorporated include the impact factor of your data, which journal it is submitted to, etc. You should talk to your supervisor or a PhD candidate as they might have a better idea of the timeline of events!

If not, then there might be other ways to squeeze in the fact that you have good research potential that is worthy of publicatio!

Unless you are VERY interested in applying to a research school and have no interest in going elsewhere, I'd submit now. If you have space on your app, you can always say that the manuscript was submitted and is currently being reviewed - that way you still make them aware of your work, even though it's not as impressive as actually having been approved.

Hey...

I just had a paper that was accepted last Wednesday (June 13th), and the paper was originally submitted April 17th. Obviously the time varies between different journals, but I wouldn't expect any news about the paper in any time less than a month.

Unless you are VERY interested in applying to a research school and have no interest in going elsewhere, I'd submit now. If you have space on your app, you can always say that the manuscript was submitted and is currently being reviewed - that way you still make them aware of your work, even though it's not as impressive as actually having been approved.

point made there, but also one thing i want to mention is when you submit a paper and it gets reviewed and then they tell you to make revisions...it means theyre going to accept it. If they tell you to not worry about it, then they will not accept it. Something to consider!

Archived