Premed 101 Forums

Ontario Health Commercials

Guest 0T6

Hey guys.. I'm sure you've all seen the ads running on TV for telehealth ontario, flu shots, etc.

I just saw one I haven't seen before and right at the end they say "...including 30% more spots in medical schools and the first medical school in 30 years..."

OK.. so we knew about the northern medical school.

My question is what's with the 30% increase in spots? Is this including the new med school? Currently how many spots are there in Ontario, about 1000? So 300 new spots? These all can't go to Sudbury...

Does anyone know any details?

Guest UWOMED2005

Actually, the med school at UWO has already increased by over 30%: the class of 2003 is 96 students, and the class of 2006 is 133.

Those increases are probably what they're referring to.

Guest UOMeds05

yes that is what they are referring to... the government increased the number of seat in Ontario my 30% to be done over a period of 3 years. This years class (Meds 2006) was the last of that increase. I don't know the exact number but the I think that total seats in Ontario is somewhere in the mid 600's.

this will increase with the seats in Thunderbay and Sudbury... currently 55 starting September 2004.

Guest therealcrackers

However! They will also need to increase the number of residency spots in a similar way over the next 3 years to match the increasing numbers of medical students or there will be a lot of unmatched, unhappy people.

Foresight is fun!

Guest UWOMED2005

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Considering we're in the midst of a physician/surgeon shortage, it makes no sense to have a bunch of trained MDs sitting on their butts because they can't get into any residency program. They might not increase the number of residency spots in that "complicated surgery" specialty you wanted, but I'm sure there will be a residency spot available for all grads. . . Lab medicine anyone? :)

Archived