Premed 101 Forums

How to choose which school to apply to?

Hi Everyone!

I'm in the process of choosing which schools to apply to... I've looked at all the schools that accept Canadians and with which I meet the requirements and there are still over 30 schools!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to narrow down the list of schools?? I've though of looking at location and the cirriculum, but are there any other factors you would recommend looking into?

Anything would be appreciated!

Hi Everyone!

I'm in the process of choosing which schools to apply to... I've looked at all the schools that accept Canadians and with which I meet the requirements and there are still over 30 schools!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to narrow down the list of schools?? I've though of looking at location and the cirriculum, but are there any other factors you would recommend looking into?

Anything would be appreciated!

Try looking at where your GPA and MCAT score is competitive. I would apply to a few "safety" schools (where your stats are above the avg), some "competitive" schools (where your stats meet the avg), and a couple of "dream schools" (where you would LOVE to go but your stats aren't as competitive).

Location is definitely a big deal. Check out which ones are in big cities vs rural regions, because your clinical years will be in this setting most of the time. Make sure your preferences are clear because you will be spending 4 years in that region.

Also, the curriculum is not so important as how they teach it. If you are really comfortable learning on your own, check out schools that offer a lot of Problem Based Learning. If you don't like this concept, apply to schools which offer a more traditional approach, with professors and scheduled courses.

You can also check the match lists to see if the graduates from that school got competitive matches in the areas where you are interested.

Remember that a lot of the higher Ivy's focus a lot on research and not primary care. That should also come into consideration when you make your decision.

You also have to keep in mind the school's requirements and recommendations. Make sure you take a look at the MSAR to make sure you have taken all the required courses. Also, if you are looking at the Ivy League schools, know that as they focus on research, they will want applicants with a strong background in research. Not to say that you can't get in without research, but I have been told that it is a must.

And last, but not least, look at the price tag. For Canadians, it is pretty similar, but a few grant may make a difference down the road, especially if you plan to come back to Canada for your residency.

I hope this helps and good luck with that narrowing.

Archived