Premed 101 Forums

Please help getting started on personal statement

Hi all, I have received many positive comments on this forum, all of which I have put to use in my quest to become a dentist. I just have one minor problem left, Im applying to US dents and I need to write a personal statement. I AM NOT ASKING ANYONE TO READ IT FOR ME! i have written down all my reasons in point form with respect to why i like the education and why i like the profession and how it can tie into my career goals etc...but i just cant find a good way to open the darn thing. I've been getting more and more confused thinking about it by my self, (i've even thought about talking about Picasso!!):confused: and I decided enuf is enuf and Im now turning to you guys for some much needed inspiration!

I sincerely appreciated all your helps so far and in the future!:)

Kevin:D

Well Kevin.d

It's always cool to start with a special anecdote...think about something unique that happened in your life which made you want to be a dentist. That way it opens the essay like a story...so you are basically introducing yourself and your dental interest all in one paragraph. Maybe you had a lot of dental work done as a kid and that sparked your interest...so maybe describe the feeling of being in that environment/talking with the dentist/....this is just an example to get you started. Hope it helps.:cool:

I'd start off with a metaphor that forms the basis for your essay. I used a really simple metaphor and it just carried my essay from there. Just make sure it has something to do with some experience helping you make the decision to pursue dentistry.

Kinda what Allsmiles was talking about. Sorta start your essay off with a thought provoking statement which can then lead to a personaly story. Cuz if you have a really nice opening line, it will catch the adcom's eye. PM me if you're still not sure.

Archived