Premed 101 Forums

Deferred or Recent Rejections of Invitations

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergrad/admissions/other_policies

From Queens website

Deferred Registration

Requests for deferred registration will be considered by the Admissions Committee from highly qualified students wishing to complete the requirements for their undergraduate or graduate degree before enrolling in the School of Medicine. A maximum of ten students wishing to complete the requirements for their undergraduate or graduate degree may be accepted for deferred registration. Requests for deferral will be considered as they are received and must be received by 1 August of the year of acceptance to be considered. Normally, deferred registration will be granted for one year.

Okay time to admit something... my badgering of the admissions office has produced some hints from Jennifer that I am very close and high on the waiting list. Last week and the week before Jennifer has told me that it is possible that I may hear from her soon (in terms of getting an invite) but that because the class is nearly full they may not get to my name.

Hope is definitely getting dimmer however...

I am not sure if anyone already accepted has or is contemplating getting a deferral for Queens this upcoming year. (Or has changed their mind about going to queens for any other reason.)

If you are and feel comfortable doing so please let us all know that would really make me (and maybe others foolish enough to be hopeful still) feel a little better.

is it just me, or did the classes for all schools fill up quicker this year without going through as much of the wait list as previous years?

Perhaps it was the increase in number of applicants this year or the fact that provisional acceptance dates moved up...who knows.

Hopefully I'll be better equipped next year (and there will be less competition! This thanksgiving I've just got to win the wishbone and wish that all super-duper candidates decide to take a year off, hehe!)

I think all of use must've been close somewhere. I guess it sucks not having really even thought that it might not happen (not in a cocky way, but just feeling that it was just so fated to be that this couldn't be the end- but it won't be!)

I think the queens and western hurt a bit more since the interview meant so much, implying that there were so many other people who were similar on paper but had 'better' personalities. If anything i thought this would be my way of supplementing an 'average' candidate. Sigh, hopefully next year will work out for all of us!

on a side note, does anyone happen to know the stats for reapplicants? I'm hoping they have a better chance having gone through the process and gained an extra year of 'experience'...yes? YES!

"Well qualified candidates have grounds for re-applying for admission to a faculty of medicine and in recent years, repeat applicants have fared well. The academically weaker candidates tend not to re-apply for admission to the same extent as do those who have a sound academic background."

Repeat applicants tended to have ~7% higher success rates compared with first timers over the past several years (except for 2004/2005 cycle where it was only ~3% higher)

-all according to The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada

every time i post on these forums i ask myself why i'm still here, still checking... yet i'm back every day... several times a day... :D

whats going on with queens? has anyone received the "final- sorry but we don't want you" email yet? I'm debating whether I should call in and check what the status is.

ARG!

Edit: i broke down and called them. They told me that the class is pretty much full, they are still waiting for a few people to reply, and that I can expect to hear back from them, one way or another, by the end of this week.

whats going on with queens? has anyone received the "final- sorry but we don't want you" email yet? I'm debating whether I should call in and check what the status is.

ARG!

Edit: i broke down and called them. They told me that the class is pretty much full, they are still waiting for a few people to reply, and that I can expect to hear back from them, one way or another, by the end of this week.

worriedandwaiting I'm glad you got the info and posted for the rest of us to know. Thanks for that.

... i had asked if they had already done the deferrals and she said they had

Hello premedgirl. I called today and asked about deferrals just for the heck of it and I spoke to Jennifer. She said that as the deadline for applying for a deferral is still a ways away they have not finished processing these yet. I asked her on average how many students applied for deferrals and she said that in some past years, all 10 spots open for deferrals are taken... while the numbers vary in every year there has been at least 1 or 2 applications.

The results on deferrals may not come out until mid august which explains why people get in so late.

So there is still hope. (I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing when hope is so little but its in my nature to hang on....)

She said at the moment though... there are only about 1 or 2 more spots in question on the list.

Archived