Premed 101 Forums

How do students afford Wayne State?

THX

As of late I have been looking at tuition costs of US medical schools. While high, most seem relatively manageable with a bit of financial help from one's parents + large loans. But how can one reasonably afford to pay for a place like Wayne State with its 70k+ costs per year? Can those with little financial support actually attend WSU without having a nearly un-payable debt (because of interest) afterwards? Just curious, because if it wasn't for the cost, WS would be ideal.

Well, the out of state tuition at Wayne is 46,500 or someting like that....I know the in state is 23,500. Wayne has alot of financial aid, you can open a line of credit, or you could find someway to get American citizenship and pay in state tuition. I don't know those loopholes, maybe Jochi could help you with that. Im a dual citizen, so I can't help you with that. But, you're right, Wayne seems a bit ridiculous when you look at the financial aspect of it, but they have tons of financial aid. Speak with a loan advisor, they're not going to refuse a medical student a line of credit. If that bank manager does, then they are an idiot!

I am starting at Wayne this august, and I've got a massive credit line with RBC (co-signor req'd), I'm lined up for BC student loans, and have a smaller credit line with CIBC as a back up.

Overall, Wayne is a great clinical school - esp for inner city medicine and EM - and for me it is worth it to go into about $100K more debt than waiting another year to maybe get in somewhere in Canada, and losing about $100K of salary by graduating from med school a year later.

PM me if you want...

supa

• 3 weeks later...

thx,

just saw your message. i'm in the 2010 class at wayne state and a canadian student. you should realize that:

1. financial aid for the state will not help you if you are a canadian. osap will (up to 15k/yr).

2. the board of directors for main campus are meeting right now to discuss further increases in tuition due to tax cuts.

what does that mean? right now it means that tuition will likely increase ~14% for out-of-staters/international students. in the future, this MAY increase further as no one has yet said they will put a freeze on tuition increases within the next few years.

i know my tuition increased a few thousand last year. just thought you should have up-to-date info on the school.

Archived