Premed 101 Forums

UBC - Tuition Payment Changes (Credit Cards)

I just want to alert incoming UBC Medicine students about recent changes to the tuition payment format. I would like to acknowledge that I first heard this from chompers.

Below is the information I received recently from my Faculty. This will play a role in your selection of credit cards - I will likely change mine now due to the changes below.

Credit Card Savings Directed Toward UBC Teaching and Learning

The University of British Columbia - June 20, 2007 - The University of

British Columbia is discontinuing the use of credit cards by domestic

students for tuition payments. The annual savings of $2.5 million in

transaction fees will be used in support of teaching and learning for

undergraduate and graduate students.

Many other Canadian universities, among them Toronto, McGill, McMaster and

Queens, do not accept credit card payments because of the significant

transaction costs.

There are several online payment methods available, including Electronic

Funds Transfer, online banking, direct debit using Interac (available June

27); you can also pay in person by debit card or cheque. Cash and cheque

payments can be made at any branch of HSBC.

Details on payment methods are available at:

* UBC Vancouver Awards, <http://www.students.ubc.ca/finance/fees.cfm>

Fees & Finances website

* UBC Okanagan <http://www.ubc.ca/okanagan/students/finance/fees.cfm>

Awards, Fees & Finances website

Any UBC student experiencing significant stresses in financing their

university education should contact the UBC Office of Student Financial

Assistance and Awards.

* UBC Vancouver <http://www.students.ubc.ca/finance/contact.cfm>

contact information

* UBC <http://www.ubc.ca/okanagan/students/finance/contact.cfm>

Okanagan contact information

Credit card payments will continue to be accepted for international and

Continuing Studies students, and for ancillary fees such as housing and meal

plans. In these instances, the service charges are recovered at no cost to

the University. All students will also be able to pay their registration

deposit by credit card.

Kuantum,

I didn't want to answer your question yet because I wanted to ask RBC first. However, I thought that interest is incurred immediately when the cheque is cashed and isn't the interest rate really high? I get a lot of those cheques particularly from MBNA and they always go straight to the shredder.

However, I am not sure about the above information. I plan to call RBC tomorrow to find out.

Kuantum,

Another point I just realized - the reason why points/rewards are given to you is because the credit card companies get more than that from the retailers. If you were to get points/rewards from the credit card cheques, the company would need to be able to charge the same fee to the retailer. Hence, there would be no savings from the change in payment format. I don't think UBC would have made these changes otherwise.

Kuantum,

Another point I just realized - the reason why points/rewards are given to you is because the credit card companies get more than that from the retailers. If you were to get points/rewards from the credit card cheques, the company would need to be able to charge the same fee to the retailer. Hence, there would be no savings from the change in payment format. I don't think UBC would have made these changes otherwise.

ya but aren't the charges mainly for the use of the "swiper" or the electronic billing part? so, if you don't need to pay for that anymore, you don't need to charge anymore. the credit card essentially functions as any regular chequing account...however, to be sure instead of just guessing...i'll e-mail my LOC person and see what scotiabank says. i'd be bummed too b/c my credit card gives me 10X the reward points

With regard to this issue, yesterday at their meeting the Alma Mater Society of UBC passed a resolution similar if not identical to the one below (not sure if it was amended):

“Whereas the University requires that tuition be paid during the first week of classes in

September; and

Whereas until the 1988-89 school year, the University did not require the payment of tuition

until the end of the third week of classes in September; and

Whereas the availability of a credit card payment option for paying tuition, commencing in

the 2003-04 school year as the preferred method of paying, enabled students to effectively

defer the actual payment of tuition until the end of September; and

Whereas the University Administration has recently decided to discontinue the option of

paying tuition via credit card; and

Whereas the AMS recognizes that it is impractical to rescind the decision to discontinue

credit card payment for this year.

Therefore, be it resolved that the Alma Mater Society call upon the University to extend the

deadline for tuition payment until one month after the commencement of classes in

September; and

Be it further resolved that the Alma Mater Society call on the University to look into

reinstituting credit card payment in future years or look into developing some other policy

on tuition payment that would alleviate the financial burden undergone by students at the

beginning of September."

i didn't know that there were universities that didn't accept credit cards for tuition payments...that sucks...one more thing Adversary...if you have an LOC with rbc, you may want to speak with your banker about waving the fee for your avion card; my fee is waved for the four years that i'll be in dent school

Just spoke to my LOC advisor and she said I wouldn't be able to write a cheque to still get points. The only way to get points on the scotia gold card is to actually charge something to it...:(. I also asked her if she could think of any other of getting around this, and she said not at the moment.

However, since I am a scene member with scotia...when I pay for my tuition, i'll get a bunch of points so i can go watch movies...yeaa!! the scotiastar points would have been perferred though.

...using my credit card to pay for tuition was something i was actually looking forward to! just my luck, SFU just started taking credit card payments this year and UBC stopped...

If credit card companies make $2.5 million per year on transaction charges alone, plus millions more they make when students carry balances with interest they will lose a lot of money come September. I wonder if they would ever think of negotiating a deal with UBC to charge less in transaction fees in exchange for reinstating credit card payments.

PS - If you use a cheque, it counts as a credit card cash advance. Instant interest and no points. I even considered paying with money order and paying for that by credit card but that is a no go either.

I'm so disappointed - I fought for the Avion card with my LOC with the fee waved the first year just so I could get the points - it looks like after that first year I'll just switch back to a free points card - there goes my vacation after fourth year!

Archived