Premed 101 Forums

Should I apply this year?

Hi everyone,

I'm going into my 3rd year and I'm writing my MCAT in August. I've been reading around the forums and it seems like I'm right at the edge of the cutoffs, and I may just be "donating" my money to med schools by applying this year. I have pretty good ECs so I'm really just worried about my GPA.

1st year GPA - 3.62

2nd year - 3.78

I also took a summer half course that I got 76 in (3.00, ouch) and I did a half course at as part of a high school enrichment program where I got 86 (3.9, yay).

So my cumulative average is 3.6772 (rounded to 3.68 hopefully?) and my 2 year average is 3.70.

Do I have a shot? I'm thinking about applying to Queens, Mac, Ottawa and U of T.

Oh and another question... does anyone know the details about "geographical background" in applying to the K-W Mac campus? I read something in the newspaper about preference to K-W natives... true or not?

• 4 weeks later...

i'm bumping this up because i really want some advice here... i'm leaning more towards not applying because i seriously don't think my will GPA meet the cut offs. i see a lot of ppl have read this thread... BE STRAIGHT WITH ME!!!

i won't be offended if you say I shouldn't, i just really want some outside input if i honestly have a shot of at least getting an interview.

I would substitute western for ottawa on your list (unless you're an ottawa resident or get some sort of preferrential treatment from ottawa, your wGPA won't be anywhere near the 3.83ish required there) You only need 1 year >3.7 for an interview at western though... gotta get a 2nd 3.7 this year to get accepted, but you'll get an interview for sure... er... well provided you do a decent job on your mcats. remember, GPA is only one part of the equation... more often it's the mcat that will make or break you, especially at Queens and Western.

Good Luck!

Agree with the others, Ottawa is a very long shot. The cut-off for out of ottawa applicants has been ~3.80+.

I'm in a very similar boat as you, and I know you're slightly below last year's cutoff for Queen's but the gpa has been fluctuating along with mcat scores... so it is possible that the GPA cut next year will be 3.67. The MCAT will be the deciding factor, along with whether the GPA decreases slightly or not.

You're going to 3rd year, right Ashlay? If you are - then you can't apply to Western since you have to be graduating to do it, otherwise you have a solid chance there in 4th year (as long you meet the MCAT cutoff).

If I was you... I'd go with Mac, U of T, Queen's as the schools I would try to get into. My GPA is 3.69 and those are the ones I'm eyeballing for this application cycle. You may also want to look at out of province schools.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Yeah i know about Western's 4 year thing, I am gonna apply there next year i just wasn't sure about what to do this year. So i guess i'll try out Mac and U of T for sure (since I heard U of T doesn't have really strict MCAT cutoffs) and Queens depending on my MCAT.

It just sucks cause I won't get the scores back until mid-sept.

I'd suggest finishing all your other applications, then starting to work on the Queen's essays until you get your MCAT back... even if you don't make the cutoffs this year, save your answers to the essays, since they seem to not change much from year to year.

Good Luck!!

Archived