Premed 101 Forums

Cure for hiccups?

hey guys,

I don't think I've ever posted in this section since I take it to be off limits for me (premed!).

But I have to ask, just to see what answers I get:

Does anyone know how to cure hiccups? I've had them for over 24hrs and I don't know how I slept with them. My chest feels like I got beat up. Thanks ;)

Hmmm. I dunno if there is a definete cure, some things work for some people and not for others. I've heard a lot of things, scarying yourself (or get someone to scare you), drinking water with a metal spoon in there. Drinking a ridiculous amount of water in a short time span. Also, some ppl claim breathing into paper bags. Another one is breathing out all the air you can and then breathing in all the air you can. Look at this link, for some others. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiccup#Home_remedies.

I'm not a doctor, not yet at least. But speaking from personal experiences, you can either sleep it off like you did or you can drink small mouthfuls of water but in rapid succession, i.e. at a frequency higher than the hiccups without burping. I know it sounds a little silly but it works! At least you don't have to bear with it for a month. That sucks.

try holding your breath and rubbing your head right between your eyebrows... i've heard someone tell me that this stimulates some nerve that's causing the hiccups... not aware of which nerve it is... so it may be bs... but it works sometimes... (also a premd myself)... also noticed this is almost a week late...

try holding your breath and rubbing your head right between your eyebrows... i've heard someone tell me that this stimulates some nerve that's causing the hiccups... not aware of which nerve it is... so it may be bs... but it works sometimes... (also a premd myself)... also noticed this is almost a week late...

I saw this once on "untold stories of the ER" haha.

They tried a million things and finally decided to try that, even though it sounded weird... and it worked haha.

Archived