Premed 101 Forums

Graduate Awards

Yo!

I am a grad student who will most likely be applying to UofO med this cycle. I am lacking big time on the awards section and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice..ie:scholarships/awards available to grad students...

on another note, for people who got in - how important is this section?

Thanks so much.

Hey there,

No idea how important that section is. If you go via the undergrad pool I suspect it is less important than if you go via the grad stream, since in the grad stream they will evaluate productivity and scholarships would be included in that evaluation.

But they are definitely good to have!

Your research supervisor should be making you aware of scholarship opportunities. And most schools provide links to scholarship opportunities on the grad school site...and if you go to your research and awards office they will also have resources for you.

Most of the bigger awards like NSERC and OGS have early deadlines...you apply in early fall for funding the following year. I am sure you are aware of these if you are in grad school already. As for the smaller ones, if your supervisor and school haven`t any resources, then going to webpages of associations etc. can be a start...I think the Alzheimer's Society funds research for example, and Epilepsy Canada has a student fellowship etc.

Good Luck!

Sats

I would suggest, in your situation, include any type of award/scholarship such as admission scholarship (it is an award because your marks were high), excellence scholarship, travel awards to the conferences. If you have recent publications there are also awards available you can apply and get them before application submission.

exvv

Archived