Premed 101 Forums

question:

I will live 2 min walk from U of M fort gary. can i get a meal plan there? i know you get flex dollars on your student card, can this be used at U of M bannantyne food outlets? (tim hortons, cafe, etc.)?

also, is the U of M food any good?

question:

I will live 2 min walk from U of M fort gary. can i get a meal plan there? i know you get flex dollars on your student card, can this be used at U of M bannantyne food outlets? (tim hortons, cafe, etc.)?

also, is the U of M food any good?

No, the food isn't very good. I'm not sure which meal plan you're referring to, but if it's the residence meal plan, then I believe it's only good for residence food, the quality of which is questionable. I'm not aware of any other meal plans on the Fort Garry campus. I believe there might be some changes implemented in the coming year wherein the food quality is supposed to improve, but if you're not living in res then you'd likely be better off buying food from a grocery market. There's a Safeway not too far from the campus, so you shouldn't have any problems going out to get it.

but there is only one major problem. I'm a complete newbie to cooking. I used to live at home while going to U of T so my mom used to make everything for me. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner any snacks, you name it!

So I only know how to make toast. and tea! So right now my mom is teaching me hardcore and it seems overwhelming. I'm just worried I might crap out and not be able to do this cooking/feeding myself business.

dude...don't get a meal plan. man up and learn how to cook for yourself...you'll thank yourself for it. i've had a meal plan twice now and it's some of the worst food i've tasted in my life. i'm in ottawa for the summer and i cook all my own meals. it's great...so much better than the crap coming out of aramark/pembina hall.

but there is only one major problem. I'm a complete newbie to cooking. I used to live at home while going to U of T so my mom used to make everything for me. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner any snacks, you name it!

So I only know how to make toast. and tea! So right now my mom is teaching me hardcore and it seems overwhelming. I'm just worried I might crap out and not be able to do this cooking/feeding myself business.

Have faith. I'm sure you'll be a pro in no time.

Never do anything out of fear--unless you're actually avoiding consumption of Aramark food.

I was in the same position not long ago. Just learn some easy dishes you can always fall back on... A few different salads for variety, a few meat dishes, and for carbs... well, making rice, potatoes, or corn is not that tough. Then find some recipes on the net that sound good / have good reviews and try a new one every time you get a chance. My gf recently made some wasabi/mayo salmon which was unreal and was easily discovered on http://www.allrecipes.com :D

ya the key is making recipes that are quick to make so you don't spend too much time just on making the food. also, food that can be used for a variety of things (like meat sauce) are great. you can make it on a sunday night and use it multiple times through out the week.

Archived