Premed 101 Forums

Newbie question

Hi all!

I'm a UBC third year student who will be applying to Queens as a third year applicant this summer. I really like Queens and from what I hear Queens has a beautiful campus and Kingston is a great place to party/ live. I am a bit worried about the GPA cut offs, as I calculated my cumulative GPA using OMSAS as 3.6868. Does this count as 3.69? Thanks guys!

Hey Leonidas! I'm glad that you like Queen's. And yup, the campus is very pretty :)

As far as I know, OMSAS does round, so your GPA would count as 3.69.

The only thing is that the Queen's GPA cutoff seems to change depending on the applicant pool, so it's anybody's guess what exactly next year's GPA cutoff will be.

Good luck!

however, if your cumulative gpa doesn't meet the cut-off, they will use either your best 2 years or your 2 most recent years (you may want to check on which one it is). For you though, since you are applying as a third year, your 2 most recent is your cumulative anyways. Depending on what the average is this year and what your MCAT is, you may still have a chance and if not this year, then next year.

Thanks for your replies!

I think I'm really walking the line here with Queens, because their GPA cut off has been 3.68 for the past 2 years, and I'm 3.6868! Their MCAT cut offs are 10 10 10, and I've been getting 10's and 11's on my practice exams (sometimes I get 12's though). I really hope I have a chance to at least make it to the interview. Do you guys know if Queens discriminates against 3rd year applicants?

Also, I will apply to Toronto too- is my GPA far too low for them, considering they are so focused on academics? Thanks guys!

Do you guys know if Queens discriminates against 3rd year applicants?

Queen's grants interviews to everyone who meets both the GPA and MCAT cut-offs. Therefore, provided you make these cut-offs, you will receive an interview. There are students who are accepted each year after only three years of undergrad.

Best wishes!

Elaine

Hey Leonidas! I'm glad that you like Queen's. And yup, the campus is very pretty :)

As far as I know, OMSAS does round, so your GPA would count as 3.69.

The only thing is that the Queen's GPA cutoff seems to change depending on the applicant pool, so it's anybody's guess what exactly next year's GPA cutoff will be.

Good luck!

Hey, bayervillager, I had e-mailed OMSAS and they said that they always round down to the nearest hundredth. I had e-mailed them 1-2 months ago. Did you get your info from them?

unfortunately I deleted the inbox email, but this is what I had sent out:

To whom it may concern:

After calculating my gpa according to the OMSAS scale, I have found it to

be 3.71555 repeating. I was wondering whether this is rounded down to a

3.71 rounded up to 3.72 or kept at 3.71555 etc.

They said it would be 3.71.

Hey, bayervillager, I had e-mailed OMSAS and they said that they always round down to the nearest hundredth. I had e-mailed them 1-2 months ago. Did you get your info from them?

Hey Alastriss! I got my information from a friend who had one of those weird repeating GPAs like .787878. He said that he got rounded up.

I would think that hearsay (my information) is probably less reliable than words straight from the horse's (aka OMSAS's) mouth. Maybe I misunderstood him?

So Leonidas, I think that you should take Alastriss's word over mine in this case.

Leonidas: in case having a borderline GPA is filling you with anxiety, allow me to offer you some words of encouragement. I had 3.69 when I was applying as an undergraduate this year, which beat the cutoff by 0.01 OMSAS club points. I got in anyway. Once you've satisfied the academic cutoffs, they will offer you an interview regardless of any other considerations. Of course, there is nothing to guarantee that the GPA cutoff for the next application cycle will stay at 3.68...

I had 3.69 when I was applying as an undergraduate this year
High five to making it just above the cutoff! (I was at 3.70.)

Leonidas, nobody here can tell you whether you will get an interview with your GPA, but what's the harm in trying? Once you get that interview, the grades don't matter anymore. It's just pure speculation, but I think Queen's is trying to avoid raising its GPA/MCAT cutoffs as it excludes so many potentially great applicants because they scored a 9 on an MCAT section.

Good luck!

Also, I will apply to Toronto too- is my GPA far too low for them, considering they are so focused on academics? Thanks guys!

You'd be surprised, Toronto isn't as focused on academics as you would think. I've heard of people with near perfect GPAs & MCATs getting rejected pre-interview. The essay you write for Toronto is more important in getting an interview than your GPA/MCAT (assuming those are adequate). Also keep in mind, that UT drops your worst marks if you take a full-course load. That could easily boost a 3.6 ish GPA to a 3.8 ish. A 3.7 would be competitive for Toronto as long as your non-academic portion is outstanding (I've heard of many people getting into UT meds with "just" a 3.7 ish GPA)

I do I keep thinking their cutoffs are 3.69 or 3.7???? Wutever...

Maybe I'm thinking Western, but aren't their cutoffs both the same.

The cutoffs at Queen's and Western are similar, but not the same, both in terms of numbers and how the numbers are applied.

Western had a 3.7 cutoff, where you must have scored that or more in each of two full course load years. No exceptions.

Queen's had a 3.68 cutoff, where you must have scored that cumulatively over the entirety of your coursework, regardless of how many years you have taken. They also had a 3.78 cutoff, where you must have scored that cumulatively over the last (not best) two years of coursework as a full-time student (not to be confused with full course load as above).

Queen's had a 3.68 cutoff, where you must have scored that cumulatively over the entirety of your coursework, regardless of how many years you have taken. They also had a 3.78 cutoff, where you must have scored that cumulatively over the last (not best) two years of coursework as a full-time student (not to be confused with full course load as above).

actually, i think the cut-offs are applied as one or the other, not both. i.e. if your cumulative average is above 3.68, you're ok. however, if it's under, then your LAST two years must be above the HIGHER cut-off, 3.78. hope that makes sense (and is correct!).

The cutoffs at Queen's and Western are similar, but not the same, both in terms of numbers and how the numbers are applied.

Western had a 3.7 cutoff, where you must have scored that or more in each of two full course load years. No exceptions.

Thanks kaymcee. I knew how the calculations went. I was just saying that I keep getting forgetting the cutoffs for Queens and usually mistake it for Western's.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys its the OP. I have been rejected from Queens........crap. But I've never felt so happy and so sad at the same time. Just got my mcat marks, 37 O. 37 is my highest AAMC practice score, but an O????? Oh man....Queen's is out of the question for me now.....:(

Hey guys its the OP. I have been rejected from Queens........crap. But I've never felt so happy and so sad at the same time. Just got my mcat marks, 37 O. 37 is my highest AAMC practice score, but an O????? Oh man....Queen's is out of the question for me now.....:(

What was the breakdown? With a 37, you're probably gonna get an OOP interview at U of C or Manitoba.

37 is a really good score, Leonidas!

And don't let the "O" worry you, even for Queen's. Two years ago they didn't look at the writing component. Since the standards seemed to change every year, maybe this year it will change and the the writing component won't matter this cycle.

37 is a really good score, Leonidas!

And don't let the "O" worry you, even for Queen's. Two years ago they didn't look at the writing component. Since the standards seemed to change every year, maybe this year it will change and the the writing component won't matter this cycle.

True, and wasn't last year's cut-off a P? That's only a point away, so doesn't really mean you'll NEVER get looked at.

Archived