Premed 101 Forums

UofT verifiers - please help

Guest Valani9

Guest Valani9

Okay -

Sorry if this is a repeat. UofT requires verifiers for every auto. sketch entry. Fine.

So how should I reference the verifiers? I've just been writing the number directly into the sketch entry. For example:

Research Assitant, Sunnybrook Hospital (6)

Is that how it's supposed to be?

Guest Kirsteen

Snap, Valani9!

I'm one too, and at Sunnybrook. Also, I referenced similarly to yourself and Peter. By the way, whereabouts are you working and in what sorts of projects are you involved--basic science, clin. epi.?

To help answer your question, Peter, I'm not sure what Valani9 is up to as an RA, but Sunnybrook has a hugely healthy research sector delving into issues in all areas. They also house ICES--a brilliant center for clinical epidemiological research, which (I learned just yesterday) have their mega-high security (it's akin to Fort Knox in there) since they are permitted access to most personal health records in Ontario. Oooooh.

The RA job is pretty much described by the handle: we assist in research, generally headed up by a basic science individual (PhD) or clinician (MD). We can get involved in all sorts of things, e.g., designing the measurement instruments, running the research, writing grants, writing papers, presenting at conferences... In my almost-six months with my new boss I've been involved in all of those activities and am loving it. Sunnybrook can be a brilliant place to work.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Kirsteen - I think Peter was referring to the spelling of assistant! LOL! I had to take a double take too, because I thought "Who on this web board would not know what a research assiStant is" ????

Have to give you credit for explaining it though!

Jane

Guest Kirsteen

Woops! Thanks for pointing that one out, Jane. It was earlier in the morn and the Starbucks apparently hadn't yet kicked the neurons into gear.

My humblest apologies for being redundant,

Kirsteen

Guest MayFlower1

Kirsteen,

LOL, thanks for describing the RA...it sounds extremely interesting!

Unfortunately, Jane was right...it was the typo I was teasing about...I'd never heard of a Research Assitant...I thought perhaps it was someone who "sits" around watching research...my next question was going to be how I could get a job like that! In my research position, I actually have to DO the research...darn.

Peter

Guest aneliz

I have seen lots of assitants in my time in the lab...they do just sit there and watch the research....usually while loudly complaining or whining about something....

I don't think that 'assitant' jobs should be hard to come by....every lab seems to have at least one...but I think that they are pretty poorly paid and despised by all.... ;)

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks Aneliz...

Actually, my research assitants do a great deal of work! I don't really consider them to be 'ssitants'...I most often hire students to do analytical work and some processing work, however, students are welcome to explore any aspect of my projects.

By the way, how's your year going?

Peter

Hey Mayflower,

My forum checking frequency has increased exponentially in the past few days....can you tell that exams are coming and that I *should* be studying? Time goes so fast.....it is hard to believe that first quarter is all over except for the exams (!) ....next week is a full week of exams for us 2006's....(hence the silliness about innertube waterpolo on the UWO forum...) So, life is a little stressful at the moment. It is amazing how much material we have covered in only six weeks! Oh well, I hear from the 2005's that first quarter is tame compared to the rest of the year! Have you submitted your application yet? (That is one thing that I don't miss....dealing with OMSAS!)

Cheers! :)

Guest MayFlower1

Aneliz,

It's great to hear things are going well for you. It's also great to hear that you aren't completely overwhelmed by the first bit of med schoo.

Yup...apps are in...we'll see how things go this year. I'm glad I don't have to deal with OMSAS anymore this year either!

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

Jane,

I'm surprised you don't know what a med schoo is...it's a specific type of schoo that doctors wear when in hospitals. Their function is to ensure your shoes don't get all bloody and stained. Geeze, I guess the candidate pool is going to be less competitive this year... :)

Peter

Archived