Premed 101 Forums

To current and future NOSM

• 2 weeks later...

The best way to figure this out is to tour the school. The guide will make it very clear as to how they are different frpm other schools. If you've ever been through another medical school and than tour NOSM, the differences will slap you in the face.

I guess Ill try to be a bit more helpful .... I currently work as a registered dietitian for 7 first nation communities in NO and my university and internship training didnt prepare me for the realities of working in rural and remote areas. It has been a struggle to figure out accessing patient records, reliable resources remotely, etc etc. NOSM will prepare you to work in these rural and remote areas so one wont go through this same situation as an MD, imagine going to U of T, training in the biggest teaching hospitals with the latest tech than post grad you are dropped onto the Zhiibaahaasing First Nation Reserve with 52 people in the community, no support staff, some outdated text books, limited info in the patient chart, no lab, no collegues .... what do you do now? NOSM should help in easing some of these realities ..... So in other words I want to learn in the same environment I will work in so that is why.

There is a lot of focus on why and how NOSM is different than other programs. There is also a bit of confusion. We do cover the same curriculum, the same objectives and meet the same guidelines as all schools in Canada. NOSM is currently meeting the same standards as the rest of Canada as far as science/medical information taught. The difference with NOSM lies within its social accountability mandate. The school has been created with the needs of those communities it serves, to bring the art and the science together. For instance the program works to increase ones' cultural awareness, exposure to technology, working in small groups, and living in rural, remote and isolated communities. From the beginning there is a focus on interdisciplinary teams, as to work as a physician in the north the ability to work with all the players at the table is crucial. You have opportunity to live in some amazing communities in your first and second year, and be exposed to the multifacetted definition of what health means to people. Differences are meant to be celebrated... NOSM may be different, but for a subset of students who are committed to working in northern and rural communities it is an appreciable difference.

There is a lot of focus on why and how NOSM is different than other programs. There is also a bit of confusion. We do cover the same curriculum, the same objectives and meet the same guidelines as all schools in Canada. NOSM is currently meeting the same standards as the rest of Canada as far as science/medical information taught. The difference with NOSM lies within its social accountability mandate. The school has been created with the needs of those communities it serves, to bring the art and the science together. For instance the program works to increase ones' cultural awareness, exposure to technology, working in small groups, and living in rural, remote and isolated communities. From the beginning there is a focus on interdisciplinary teams, as to work as a physician in the north the ability to work with all the players at the table is crucial. You have opportunity to live in some amazing communities in your first and second year, and be exposed to the multifacetted definition of what health means to people. Differences are meant to be celebrated... NOSM may be different, but for a subset of students who are committed to working in northern and rural communities it is an appreciable difference.

Nicely articulated. I had forgot to highlight my work in interdisciplinary health care teams ... glad Im reading all the advice I can.

Archived