Premed 101 Forums

McGill premed courses?

Dirk

I am currently studying health sciences at Marianopolis College (a CEGEP in Quebec), and I am planning on applying to McGill's one-year premed program. However, before I get to that stage, I must take an elective course in my fourth and final semester at CEGEP. I was hoping to select either Organic Chemistry II or Calculus III , but I don't know which is a better choice since I don't even know if Calculus III is a required course in the McGill premed program. Hence, I was looking (to no avail) to find out what specific courses are taken in the one-year McGill premed program. If you've been through the system, please help me find information on the McGill premed courses and/or your opinion on which elective to take in CEGEP.

Thank you,

Dirk

in my opinion, i think it would be more useful for you to take organic chem 2. cause for med, ur gonna have to take it at university or have a similar course and it seems harder at university level than at cegep. And if u take it at cegep, u wont have to do it again at university. And cal3 is not a prerequiste for premed. I havent been through premed year, but im telling u this from what other people have told me. i hope it will help you!

good luck!

Hey Dirk,

Take Org 2, because if you don't, you won't get org 1 credited at McGill for some insane reason. It happened to me and to some of my friends. Cal 3 is in no way required, plus if you really want to take it, you can do so in your pre med.

This one year gap makes you take bio 200, physiology 209 & 210, or something like that. The rest, you fill up with all the useless courses that you want. Just make sure you get a B+ in every course, and over 3.5 GPA and you are all set for med school. If you don't meet this, then McGill will toss you out of medical school, so make sure you don't screw this year up.

As for electives, go to Ratemyprofessors.com and get a first year buddy from the first year office. Both of these resources will give you the info that you need.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dirk,

I just finished my health science degree at Marianopolis and am going into pre-med at McGill this year. As an elective in the fourth semester I took human physiology. It was a thoroughly interesting course and will definitely be an asset in the compulsory physiology courses in my pre-med year. I would strongly advise against calculus 3 since it bears no similarities with your future studies. Also, organic 2 is a difficult course and when you've hustled for 3 semesters to get that awesome r-score, you want to take it a little lighter in the fourth semester especially since you want to focus a great deal of time into your application for pre-med. Let me know if you need any more advice about courses or profs at Marianopolis.

Archived