Premed 101 Forums

Which math courses should I take in first year undergrad at McGill?

sup625

Hi! Im a new student at McGill enter U0 in the Science program. I did very well in highschool calc, 96, in Ontario. I also got 95 in discrete. Im debating between taking either the Math140/141 or Math150/151 stream. However, there is a problem with taking the Math140/141 stream. It would not give me 30 credits through the year, it would only give me 29. This means that I would not be following a full course load. However, if I take the more difficult route, with 150/151, I would get the 30 credits throughout the year with just 4 courses each semester. By taking 140/141, i would have to take an extra course in the winter term to get 30, but that would mean I would have 18 credits in the second semester, which is quite a feat to pull off in a Science program at McGill. So, if you are a McGill undergrad, can you please tell me if it is worth it to take 150/151 even though it is harder? Or should I jsut take 140/141 with the extra course? One last option is to not carry a full course load. Would this hinder my chances at many schools in Canada?

THANKS!!!

I did Math 150/151 (back in the day...I am old now) and honestly, I preferred it to what I saw my friends doing in 140/141. You will find all assignments are online in university, which actually turns out to be REALLY ANNOYING. We did our assignments on paper, but I don't know if this has changed.

You could always start in one class and then switch if you change your mind before the add/drop date.

I think you can probably manage in either course, the 150/151 is not that much more challenging. I am in engineering, so by taking 150/151 I was exempted from Advance Calculus, so it was to my benifit.

Good luck! I hope you like McGill

Yea, Ive chosen to do 140/141 and I might take an extra course in the second semester, it really depends on how i feel. Besides, I think I will be adjusted to university and will be able to handle 5 courses in second semester, especially with an easy elective. Plus, it will leave me with an easy first semester, always fun to have time to discover montreal!:P

Archived