Premed 101 Forums

Wow UBC has some stupid application questions

On the new UBC application, there is a large section of questions regarding suitability for the rural Northern Medical Program (NMP). There is a short essay to say why you think you are suited for rural medicine, and then a long series of yes/no questions. With every yes answer, you are given a small field to type an explanation or an "Add" button to add details. One of the questions is "Have you lived away from home?". If you type yes, it makes you "Add new" all the times you have lived away from home, including:

Have you lived away from home?

*To: (Date)

*Where:

*Explanation:

*Verifier First Name:

*Verifier Last Name:

Verifier E-mail:

Verifier Phone:

Seriously? Why the explanation for why I lived away from home? VERIFIER!? Jesus Christ.:mad:

Just to clarify, u cant apply to UBC if you havent taken english yet...

I have taken one course ..ie half-course and taking another one in the winter semester..Since they have changed their rules..I cant apply to UBC right..I havent started applying yet..waiting till next week when i finished the MCATs

Also, are there any other schools where i cant apply w/o completing the full english course load?

Thhanks..

i think all application questions & essays are stupid...they should simplify things by requiring you to take a single lie detector test.

-"are you interested in medicine for the $$$ & prestige?"

-"of course not!"

*huge deflection on polygram*

-REJECTED.

lol :P

i think all application questions & essays are stupid...they should simplify things by requiring you to take a single lie detector test.

-"are you interested in medicine for the $$$ & prestige?"

-"of course not!"

*huge deflection on polygram*

-REJECTED.

lol :P

ahahahahahaha

but seriously guys. Going to throw this out.

if u were on the ad com, would you hire a person who's absolutely brilliant and could save a lot of people but is ultimately doing it so he can start collecting 67 shelbies and stingrays or a person who's not brilliant, still smart, and wants to be a doctor because he is passionate about medicine?

Well, you want doctors who are passionate about medicine, who are willing to work in rural or remote areas, or in the less prestigious and less profitable specialties. You want a doctor who will work his ass off to diagnose your mystery illness, rather than clock out to go test drive a Ferrari. You want a doctor who will make sacrifices for the sake of patients.

We all know the people who get into medicine have to have a high enough level of base intelligence, to be great doctors. For me, I'd rather have a doctor who stays up late, reading through journals and obscure medical books to figure out my illness. A lot of things come with brilliance, such as incredible arrogance, that make those greedy wanna-bes less than excellent perspective doctors.

So there!

ahahahahahaha

but seriously guys. Going to throw this out.

if u were on the ad com, would you hire a person who's absolutely brilliant and could save a lot of people but is ultimately doing it so he can start collecting 67 shelbies and stingrays or a person who's not brilliant, still smart, and wants to be a doctor because he is passionate about medicine?

Being a physician is a lot more than just being smart and good at what you do. At least, part of being good at what you do is having excellent interpersonal skills, and looking after your patient and not just their disease. If you are not a caring person, I don't see how that is possible.

But anyhow, there's nothing wrong with being interested in it for the $$$ and prestige, as long as those aren't the ONLY reasons.

well, I know of a doctor who work 7 days a week and pump patients through his clinic like a factory line. He makes 1.5 mill a year, but I don't think he's spending enough time on each patient. I've been to his clinic before. The waiting room is like a Japanese subway, and he really doesn't listen to any of my thoughts or concerns.

I know he's an amazingly brilliant doctor, but I think $$ and prestige has gotten in the way of his practice.

omg this is annoying!!!!!!!!!!!! i won a bunch of medals and stuff for track and field. so for example: i won second place on a hundred meter sprint. what do i put in for # of hours under the sports section of the non academic experiences??? id put in .0031 but we cant put in decimels...lol

put in the number of hours u spent training...that should be a bit more than 0.0031 hrs. :D

well, I know of a doctor who work 7 days a week and pump patients through his clinic like a factory line. He makes 1.5 mill a year, but I don't think he's spending enough time on each patient. I've been to his clinic before. The waiting room is like a Japanese subway, and he really doesn't listen to any of my thoughts or concerns.

I know he's an amazingly brilliant doctor, but I think $$ and prestige has gotten in the way of his practice.

I'm sure his patients feel well taken care of when they're rushed through like they're on an assembly line. I'm sure he will also need that $1.5M when he does not do a proper history or physical exam on his patients, and gets sued by family when a patient dies. Exactly the type of people who shouldn't be in medicine!

I posted this on another thread too:

i was also wondering about the non academic experiences - is it okay to put in a work experience there if you will putting that work experience under employment history too?

also, under the non academic experiences section, does anyone know if its okay to put in a particular experience you had as a result of another overall experience. so for example:

experience #1 (leadership/working with others) Was a volunteer coordinator, responsibilities: lead this, lead that, recruited volunteers, worked with other volunteers organised fund raising events, etc

experience #2 (community service) organised fund raiser for this as volunteer coordinator

experience #3 (community service) organised fund raiser for that as volunteer coordinator

is that considered putting in the same thing more than once (once for leadership and twice for community service)?

i wasnt really ever a volunteer coordinator, the above is just an example for the sake of my question. any advice would be awesome!

Well, if your role was a organizer, I don't think you should put every event you organized as a different thing. However, using myself as an example, I am volunteering with a crisis line, answering crisis phonelines. However, I am also getting involved in some things that are outside of my role as a phoneline volunteer (volunteering in suicide awareness event), and I'm doing those two as separate events.

UBC is quite a subjective school for your non-academic qualities, so if they feel like you're stretching out your experiences, they'll mark you accordingly.

However, if you feel that two events (with the same group) are distinct, then go ahead and put them separately! :D

What specialty is he in? Billing (and actually receiving) 1.5 M is awfully high.

he's an opthamologist or something. BC health publishes all the salaries of the the doctors on their website. I think that's how much he made in 2006. It is awfully high. My dermy only makes a 3rd of that.

Archived