Premed 101 Forums

If I JUST meet the UofT MCAT cutoffs, am I considered equal to someone who has a...

Hi all,

Say person A gets a 9 in each section and a N in the WS, and person B gets a combination of 12's, 13's, 14 and a say a S in the WS, are both applicants considered "at the same level" after MCAT cutoffs OR will the ad com favour the applicant with the really high MCAT score. I know a really good score couldn't hurt but for u of t, does it make a difference

The person with the good MCAT will likely be looked upon better. It's the grey area probably between 30-35 where most applicants are considered more or less equal. I've heard of people with lower GPAs but MCATs in the 40s still able to get an interview at UofT even though the average is usually around 3.87. I think GPA is more important than MCAT, however, having a high MCAT will likely help - not as much as a solid GPA and good ECs and essay will though.

Hello,

There's no indication that U of T uses applicants' MCAT score as part of the academic score, which consists of the applicants' GPA.

The MCAT is not included in the overall Grade Point Average calculation, rather it is assessed separately. Low marks (below 9 in any subtest and below N essay marks) will be unacceptable to the Faculty and jeopardize the success of the application.

Also from the FAQ

2) How is the MCAT used in the application process?

The MCAT is not included in the overall academic calculation, but is used as a "flag." Less than minimum marks will jeopardize the success of the application. The MCAT must be written prior to the application deadline. Applications without MCAT scores will not be considered.

The MCAT is currently held in April and August. Only MCAT written within five years of the application deadline in October will be considered. All scores must be released to OMSAS each application cycle. Only the most recent MCAT score will be considered in the application process.

Applicants with higher MCAT scores would not be favoured over applicants with lower ones. Meeting the cutoffs is sufficient.

going to have to agree with scrubbed here, UofT uses the MCAT as a flag only and doesn't look back at it once the cutoff has been met. This is clearly indicated on their website (as quoted above), and I've heard the admissions secretary say this on several occasions.

I've been told this as well...however, I've also been told that having a high MCAT score may improve your chances - however, that is only if it is quite high (i.e. 36+). It has been with people with low GPAs and high MCAT scores. But, I am not an authority on this matter so I'm not surprised by scrubbed's points. He is part of the UofT class so he may know more about the admissions process at UofT than I do.

Personally, I think it is safe to assume that it is used solely as a flag. After all, as in scrubbed's quotes above, they say this explicitly. Why would they go to the trouble of explicitly lying on the admissions website? That would be a risky move that would have no benefits to them.

• 2 weeks later...
a good mcat score doesn't count FOR you, it just doesn't count AGAINST you.

a bad mcat score will however, count against you

This is very true. I don't think your interviewers even see your MCAT score since my interviewer congratulated me on my perfect SATs but made no comment on my more recent MCAT marks.

U of T uses MCAT scores are a FLAG ONLY.

Archived