Premed 101 Forums

What's your beef?

jpc43

Well, as you guys mentioned about the VR passages asking you to find that "one" word. Wouldn't it be easier just to look at the question first than to read the passage and then answer the question?

Look at the question and then start reading. Jeebus... :rolleyes:

i completely agree. i was really hesitant to do this it first, thinking it might waste more time than anything, but since i really wasn't having the best time with VR i decided to try it...and i'm finding it's not only helping me find those words/phrases without references, but i'm also finishing each passage earlier too! and i'm a lot more accurate. i'm finding that taking 30-45 seconds to read the q's first is helping me narrow down what to focus on as i read, and subsequently i answer the questions much quicker, each passage takes like 6-8 minutes max. so i recommend trying this if you are sucking at VR like i was!

hey Tan,

I remember you saying you were doing really well in that verbal thread....

I'm still struggling, and so what I'm wondering is, are you just reading the passage first or are you doing the reading the questions first, then looking to passage?

I've been trying the EK approach lately... i.e. read passage continuously, then look at q's, plus go in order, etc etc but am still struggling

or if anyone else has thoughts???? I'm in a verbal crisis.... think I will keep practicing everyday.

more importantly, when I go over the test, I've been going through each Q and looking at explanations for the one's I got right, and when I got something wrong, look at the explanations for why mine was wrong and then also why the correct answer is right....

is there something more efficient I should be doing?

anyway, verbal is my nemesis and right now the love-making isn't going to great.... help would surely be valuable.

thanks

I've been doing well in verbal lately, mostly getting 11-12 with a 13. I don't really have a trick, but I do follow a simple technique. I try to read as carefully and as attentively as I can, I also attempt to visualize what I'm reading if at all possible (there are somethings that I cant visualize, such as when the topic is completely foreign to me). I also deliberately read extremely slowly, so I spend at least half my time reading the passage. After doing a bunch of tests, I've come to realize that the vast majority of questions are easy and relatively obvious. But this is only the case if you thoroughly understand the passage. If you are having difficulty getting the right answer, there is probably something wrong with the way you are reading. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but what really helped me a lot (ie. bumped me from the 8-9 range to where I am now) is to read very slowly, as slowly as I need to in order to suck in all the important themes of the passage.

I wonder what condition your computer monitor is in. :P

:P hahahahahahahahahaha

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHA

and evanashqa - I find that often times, the question stems are pretty long so for me to realize that they're asking about "one section" would require me to not only read the question, but while I'm reading the passage to try to focus on remembering those questions that I had just read... in the end, I found that this just ends up wasting time and breaking my concentration

I've been doing well in verbal lately, mostly getting 11-12 with a 13. I don't really have a trick, but I do follow a simple technique. I try to read as carefully and as attentively as I can, I also attempt to visualize what I'm reading if at all possible (there are somethings that I cant visualize, such as when the topic is completely foreign to me). I also deliberately read extremely slowly, so I spend at least half my time reading the passage. After doing a bunch of tests, I've come to realize that the vast majority of questions are easy and relatively obvious. But this is only the case if you thoroughly understand the passage. If you are having difficulty getting the right answer, there is probably something wrong with the way you are reading. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but what really helped me a lot (ie. bumped me from the 8-9 range to where I am now) is to read very slowly, as slowly as I need to in order to suck in all the important themes of the passage.

That is pretty much what I have been doing. I find that when I read the way I usually do (pretty fast) I end up missing a couple of questions. But if you concentrate on what you are reading and make yourself slow down a bit, it might be easier to get a grasp on the information needed for some of the more detailed questions.

Archived