Premed 101 Forums

American App Basics / Rolling Admissions

hey,

just wondering where I should be looking if I am completely new to the process of applying to American schools... probably won't be applying this year, but the thought recently came to mind, and I just thought I'd read up a bit on it.

Now I noticed the AAMC posted the deadlines the various schools have (oct 1, oct 15, nov 1, etc etc)., but what I'm wondering is if someone can explain 'rolling admissions' and which schools have them? I've heard that your chances of admission are greater the sooner you get your AMCAS in.

Thanks!

Nearly every school has rolling admissions..the ones that don't are the top schools. I know Harvard, Columbia, and Yale are non-rolling. So yes, for almost all schools, it's important to get your primary in early, as well as secondaries - there's no point in submitting the primaries early if you're gonna take forever with the secondaries, you have to be complete and ready for review by the adcoms as early as you can.

Nearly every school has rolling admissions..the ones that don't are the top schools. I know Harvard, Columbia, and Yale are non-rolling. So yes, for almost all schools, it's important to get your primary in early, as well as secondaries - there's no point in submitting the primaries early if you're gonna take forever with the secondaries, you have to be complete and ready for review by the adcoms as early as you can.

true dat. I'm one of the dumb ones who's got secondaries by the bucketload but hasnt done any. stupid MCAT.

thanks. wow, so if you put secondaries in august, you're applying for admission for the NEXT september? 13 months later...? that's nuts

oh and bane, it's ok. MCAT is the priority first. good score, then app will fall into place :)

Thanks Orchid :P From what I've read up, I wont have to kill myself (metaphor) if I can get all my secondaries in before September ends. After September will be stupidly late.

Ideally, I'll get like 20 down by first week of Sept, then finish the rest off soon after.

I think I'll soon (after MCAT) write out the lessons I've learned from the mistakes I've made for people applying to US schools, so they can benefit from my cafuffles.

Oh, and ya.... you submit secondaries Summer 2007 to get accepted for Fall 2008. That answer your q? :P

No, not too bad.

SUNY Upstate regularly accepts Canadians from what I know, and experienced lol.

Cool. I just thought state funded schools would be bitc*hin' about not taking OOS students. I think some NJ schools are totally tight about their spots.

Is the MSAR the best source for info on american schools?

Yes.

Although you can find the information on each school's website, it's far easier to have all the info in one book. Your university's academic advising/career centre should carry a copy if you don't want to buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

i have one more question. when im filling in for work/activities, what should i write in experience description precisely. so far, i've been simply stating what my responibilities were. my question is, should i also state how the experience made me learn certain things or should i just limit it to describing what exactly was it that i was doing

thanks

Archived