Premed 101 Forums

Queens 5 questions

Since these questions are so important, I want to make sure that I understand them perfectly.

a) For question 3 "explain your choice as it relates to the study and practice of medicine, expand on one area described in the ABS that demonstrates your sensitivity to others and the ability to form team relationships"

What does one area mean on the ABS? Like one activity? Or a group of similar activities?

They want to see "one area" that illustrates BOTH characteristics?

What do they mean by "as it relates to the study and practice of medicine"? LIke the activity should be related to medicine? Or what I describe myself to be should be related to medicine?

B) Similarly in question 4 "in relation to your anticipated study and practice of medicine, describe one area from your background that shows your ability for self directed learning."

Similarly, what is one area? Should we also mention how much we know about self directed learning in medicine? Or is that already implied? (I'm trying to address the first part of the question)

c) Question two and question one are/can be very similar. How should I distinguish the two?

I don't know what THEY want, but I can say how I interpreted it:

1) I wrote about one activity (not one area, like "ECs") that illustrated both. Then I demonstrated how the actions I performed and the characteristics they required (e.g. teamwork) were important for the practice of medicine. E.g. "During such-and-such activity, I had to quickly direct a team of subordinates to solve an emergency situation. Such a skill is important to medicine, as often a physician deals with a crisis and must quickly assemble an effective team to help solve the problem." Blah-blah-blah. My activity of choice actually wasn't in the medical field, but I'm sure it could be. It just needs to be an activity where you displayed qualities that you think are important to a med student or physician.

2) I wrote about one thing again (well, I've taken a bunch of self-study courses, so this one was easy for me to pick). I don't think you need to elaborate on self-learning in medicine, they don't ask about that, and it'll take up too much space, and the space is quite limited, IMO.

3) For the 1st one (why you wanna be a doctor) I wrote about what attracts me about the field of medicine. For the 2nd one, I basically wrote why the field of medicine should be attracted to me (lol :o ) - you have to show them why you are SUITABLE to become a doctor, while the first one ask why you want to be one to begin with.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas.

For the first question you list:

"explain your choice as it relates to the study and practice of medicine, expand on one area described in the ABS that demonstrates your sensitivity to others and the ability to form team relationships"

I used one AREA of the application. I tackled the sensitivity and the team relationships parts of the question separately, using two different volunteering experiences.

I figured they wanted one area (volunteering, academic, employment etc.) rather then one individual experience for both questions.

Archived