Premed 101 Forums

getting a bad rap.

Guest californicator

Guest californicator

Is it possible to be rejected by a student interviewer if he/she has heard bad things about you?

Say for example, a situation where the student interviewer knows people that knows you, and he/she has been told that you are irresponsible, cunning, etc...

It sounds paranoid but can somebody sabotage my interview this way?!?

Guest UWOMED2005

When I was interviewing, I had an interviewee who it turns out I knew previously. I quickly switched with another interviewer. If someone interviews you yet knew you before (positive or negative) they should withdraw from the interview. . . my understanding is that to not do so would be to open an avenue of protest.

Guest MayFlower1

Californiacator,

Very interesting dilemma. Two things...first, I believe what UWOMED2005 brings up is a valid point...this would be a serious route to having your file reviewed should you have a bad outcome...second, even if someone could get away with being so blatently biased (which somehow I doubt as the system naturally balances such views with the perspectives of two other interviewers and a whole team of adcoms) I doubt many people would try to sabbotage you...unless, of course, they really disliked you for some reason...

The last point I bring up is not really geared towards you...but it gives me a chance to play "middle-aged man", you know, the "big brother"...I think I've earned this right...darn it, I'm turning 40 this May 1st! :eek This is yet another example of where one sees the world is such a small place. I can't tell you how many times I've seen how it's so important to really think before you peave someone off or literally "burn a bridge". Some of the people I've bumped into know people from my childhood...one guy I met a few years ago at work was actually previously married to the VP of our group's wife! :eek Talking about a bit akward for our VP...I heard some really interesting stories, let me tell you.

(Middle-aged man consolidation note) PICK your battles wisely, oh grasshopper!

Peter

Guest UWOMED2005

High School? Is that what you 2006s call yourselves? :)

The conflict of interest I was referring to was someone I met the year previously when Timmymax and Aneliz interviewed and I was giving tours. It probably wouldn't have been much of a conflict of interest, but I didn't want to take any chances, particularly since it could conceivably be grounds for protest if I had conducted the interview.

Guest Dannyboy

To add to your "pick your battles wisely" comment Peter--just wanted to contribute that what seems like an absurd battle to one person may mean a tremendous amount to the person chosing to fight it. In any conflict, your perspective (the word "your" is used very generally here--nothing in this post is directed towards anyone in particular) is but one side of the coin--regarding the other side, what YOU think can be pretty irrelevant; what the other person thinks that is the key (and not what you think of the other person's issue).

I have found--I do a lot of conflict resolution--that the older the person is, the more difficult this is for them to appreciate and to accomodate. Young people have an amazing ability to do it soooooooooo as much us older people like to think we are wise, the younger people are in many ways far smarter. I *always* prefer working with younger people in conflict situations for this reason--older people are too often too set in their ways and they don't give younger people enough credit. I have found that older people tend to lack respect---yep, I know that *observation* is not a popular one. They are far too often needlessly bossy, condescending and domineering. They think they have all the respect in the world; they in theory do but in practice....I don't know....

Never under-estimate anyone and respect everyone, that's my motto!

P.S. yeah, I know that this is totally my opinion and it is NOT a popular one.

• 3 months later...
Guest LIPOSUCTIONATOR

Yeah, I picked a battle with someone for nearly 4 months and it's official: we dislike each other. Interestingly, that person is going into Western Meds this fall, so despite all the good things I hear about the students at Western, that school would be my LAST choice if I were even lucky enough to have a choice.

That person did something very bad to me, and my problem is I can't let go. I always get into arguments with this person, and now it's come to the point at which I enjoy giving this person a hard time. I've also said some very nasty things to this person, but I no longer feel any guilt because if I did to someone else what this person did to me, I would give them the right to say whatever they want to me no matter how nasty (It's my interpretation of "do unto others as they would have them do unto you").

Now my question is, "am I a bad person for instigating this conflict?" (My childlike justification is that this person "started it", in other words, I was provoked). Does living by the principle of "picking your battles wisely" as opposed "avoiding battles at all costs" make me a "sick person" (as this person told me to my face). I appreciate any comments.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I'm not sure exactly the situation between you and your adversary, Liposuctionator (possibly an ex-factor at work here?), but as with so many things in life, there are bound to be people and situations that you simply do not (or even cannot) get along with. The key is to make the most out of those situations and be able to put one's personal differences aside in order to accomplish the task at hand. It's okay to dislike someone- you don't have to like EVERYBODY- but just keep in mind that someday you may very well find yourself working under, for or with that person, and if you go around burning bridges now, the worse off you will be if that day should ever come. My advice is that although you may derive some pleasure in torturing this person and/or pushing their buttons (or vice versa), the professional thing to do would be to refrain from doing this as much as possible and simply avoid this person altogether if s/he bothers you that much to be around. Choosing one's battles is good advice; there are definitely some things worth standing up for, but then again there are a lot of things that are not worth the time and effort. Ask yourself if this is something that is really worth pursuing or if it is just some juvenile grudge that really won't matter months or years from now. That is my advice.

And finally, please don't prejudge a medical school or its students based on one person that is there (and happens to dislike you or vice versa). This person is obviously not representative of the school nor its students, and you'd be selling yourself short to strike UWO from your list of schools. Simply realize that not everyone in medical school is by default a good people person, or communicator, or dripping with maturity- there a couple here and there who simply are not these things. But to prejudge a school and its students based on one person who was a jerk to you in the past is completely illogical (and immature, IMHO). My advice is to come and see UWO before you choose and try to see it in a fair, unbiased light. While this may be impossible in your case, give us a chance before you go around telling everyone that UWO is an awful place. You may find it an excellent fit and end up very happy here! :)

BEst of luck!

Timmy

Guest premed81

Wow, I really like this thread because it gave some really useful and intelligent advice. We all have to deal with people we don't like or people who raise our annoyance or anxiety meter to intolerable heights. But with how precious time is, it really would be a waste of one's time and energy to dwell on the conflict and try to make it worse. I must admit, it is very difficult for me to let certain things go, but for the sake of achieving my goals and finding success, I would swallow that pride as best I can. Cheers.

Archived