Premed 101 Forums

How do you study?

sisyphus

I did my MCAT in 2005 and am re-writing it again in September.

I know it has been shortened but its there a list of topics ommitted?

How do you study?

I took the Kaplan course back in 2005 and liked their reading materials.

I am not planning to take Kaplan again. Do you think re-studying the previous Kaplan books are sufficient?

Other than the topics listed on the MCAT website, is there any books or detailed materials to study from?

For practice exams, is e-mcat the best source?

What is EK?

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

I think you could re-read the kaplan books. For questions, I'd use EK 1001 questions in MCAT physics and 1001 questions in MCAT chemistry. For practice verbal reasoning, I'd get EK 101 passages in verbal reasoning. Then of course there are the 10 AAMC exams to practice with.

ps. interesting choice of screen name

Thanks, I am getting the EK books tonight at chapters! Should I get the 1001 Q for bio?

Although I practically have only 1 month to study, I am very determined (esp. after reading all the scary posts around). How many AAMC practice did you do?

PS Sisyphus is a really intriguing mythology character!

Whatever route you do decide to take, just be consistent, persistent, dedicated and most importantly, motivated. Set out a study schedule, and follow through with your study schedule. I struggled with this during a previous sitting and here I am again re-writing. Remember to remain realistic with your study habits; take breaks when necessary and always do something fun every now and then. </mother mode>

My arsenal consists of the EK lecture series and the Kaplan Comprehensive Review. I found EK Audio Osmosis and the 1001 series not very useful, EXCEPT for EK 1001 Biology. The Biology 1001 series is passage based! Finally, remember to grab all the AAMC CBT tests.

Totally, I agree the most important thing is probably the study schedule. If it wasn't for the 3 classes/week from Kaplan before, I would have done much worse in 2005.

Having said that, my motivation has exponentially increased. I'm not going to let MCAT get in my way!

Thanks, I am getting the EK books tonight at chapters! Should I get the 1001 Q for bio?

Although I practically have only 1 month to study, I am very determined (esp. after reading all the scary posts around). How many AAMC practice did you do?

PS Sisyphus is a really intriguing mythology character!

I did 9 of the 10 AAMC practice tests. Well, sort of... I did 9/10 for PS... 9/10 for verbal... and like 3 or 4/10 for bio. Personally, I did not feel like I needed the 1001 Q for bio or for orgo... depending on what your background is you may deem it necessary to get them. Since you've done this test before, it's definitely possible to get ready in a month, especially since you've done the test before.

lol @ jixe </mothermode> hahaha... I'd definitely follow Jixe's advice... especially since you want to be ready in a month... there really isn't much time to waste.

Archived