Premed 101 Forums

Working during medical school

A general question for those who were employed part-time during medical school (actually during the school year). How many hours did you work/week and how, looking back, did it affect (if at all) your chances of obtaining a competitive residency?

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I'm in second-year and I find that working part-time this year is alot more difficult than last year. I know that I'm missing out on shadowing and research opportunities and even though I'm involved in other things, I have to be very selective. I work about ~ 10 - 15 hours a week and I find that I can keep up with class material but it doesn't leave time to read up extra things or review past material.

Anyways, tutoring is definitely a good way to make fairly good money without putting in too many hours.

My advice though, is try not to work if you don't absolutely have to. It's far better to have some extra time to study, relax, and get involved in things that more related to your career goals.

Honestly, unless the job you have is paying some very sweet hours, don't bother. Work in the first two summers. Spend carefully. It just isn't worth it. Med school sucks your life right out of you, so why add more stress to the mix. Unless you are a) coming from a pre-med type degree, in which case it sounds like there is a decent amount of overlap B) a super genius.

Archived