Premed 101 Forums

Adolescent medicine: FM vs. Peds

Nikhila

Hello,

Eventually, I'd like to work in adolescent medicine, specifically STD's, teen pregnancies, some eating disorders...

I know that there is an adolescent medicine fellowship that one can complete after a peds residency... I was wondering if anyone knows whether people can enter this fellowship after doing a FM residency?

As well, and this is a shot in the dark, does anyone know if someone who completes a Canadian FM residency can apply for adolescent medicine fellowships in the US?

Thanks,

Nikhila :o

Hey there,

I imagine you could tailor your FM practice with a fellowship such that you are more likely to encounter adolescents with STIs, pregnancies, etc. One way would be to work in places like university/college student health centres, teen health drop-in centres, public health STI/contraception clinics, etc. I know London's health unit is always looking for more female physicians (and medical students) to help with their birth control and STI clinics. If you only do such clinics, it would quickly tunnel your expertise, and I know some family docs choose to take on additional walk-in clinics to be able to stay updated with regular adult medicine.

If you want to learn about and work with primarily adolescents, and also be an expert in their medical management, I suggest going the peds route.

With FM you're going to have to do an FM residency, which will mainly concentrate on the elderly given the aging population. Not only that, what adolescent medicine you actually experience will probably cover little more than contraception and STIs, which makes you no more of an expert at adolescent medicine than any other clinical doctor.

So, if you know that you want to be an adolescent doctor, then go the peds route. It's a longer road but its worth it to bring your dream to fruition.

Archived