Premed 101 Forums

A Question for UofO moderators

Guest everyoneloveschem

Guest everyoneloveschem

Alrighty. I would like to apply this year to McMaster and UofO, but (and a big one) I need 1 credit of Bio for UofO (I have the rest). I was thinking of taking it over this year at Carleton or UofO. Unfortunately, this year is the double cohort year and all the universities are full to the brim. I went to UofO Science undergrad office and tried to sign up as a special student, but they told me they still have people who need the course I want but haven't signed up and that I should call back Sept 8th to try for last minute spots, or try Carleton. So I go over to Carleton, get in line at the Registrar's office, they tell me I need to apply to be a special student, so I fill out the form. Then the nice sec there tells me that I might as well find out if I will be allowed in the course I want before I pay the $40 special student application fee, so I try to find the guy to ask, and of course (murphy's law) he isn't there. Today I call him, not there, I call the Registrar's office, they tell me that 300 people are trying to get into 100 spots for the course I want, and to email this guy. I email him, he tells me to call Continuing Ed, I call them, her voicemail is full. AGGGGHHHHHH. I just need one STUPID bio credit.

Lesson learned - know what you might want to do in the future (post undergrad degree) and take all the necessary classes before graduating!!!

Is there any hope that UofO would overlook my missing Bio credit seeing as it is currently looking hopeless, and let me apply anyway? I suppose not, as they have hundreds of more suitable applicants with the bio credit, but....is there hope? Who would I ask in the dept?

Heya:

You might try registering during the first week of class, some people drop out and there is no wait list. So call every day to see if someone has dropped it. Another option you might want to consider is doing it by correspondence. U of O doesn't care were you do your course or how so long as you do it. I think Athabasca U does it through correspondence. I really don't think U of O will waive that requirement but contact them and ask, it doesn't hurt and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Sil.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I faced a similar situation to yours in first year (bounced tuition check). What you might want to do is just go to the lectures and labs anyway (ask the prof first), and continue to check the registrar's office for people to drop the class. You may have to attend classes in a course you are not technically registered in for a while (I had to for about four weeks), but usually around the first midterm, people begin dropping like flies and a spot should open up for you then. This way, you'll be completely up to date in terms of the workload and up to speed with the lecture and lab material such that you can then go and legitimately do well. Hope this helps!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest Tanya24

Hello,

I am not a U of O moderator (not yet anyways!) but I faced a similar situation when I was applying. Unfortunately, U of O insisted that I have the proper number of courses or my application would be rejected. They are quite stringent about this policy, and understandably so. So, I signed up for an Athabasca course and sent proof of my registration to U of O at the same time as I was sending my transcript. The beautiful thing about Athabasca is you can start a course 3 weeks after you mail your request. If you do it online, they send the package even quicker. The textbooks show up at your doorstep 10 days after they receive your request, and you have from 6 months to 1 year to finish the course (depends on if it's a half course, full course.)

If you choose to go the Athabasca route, just MAKE SURE you ask the Athabasca registrar's office to send PROOF of your registration to OMSAS before the transcript deadline in October. And watch that you finish the course before the end of April or Ottawa will not count it as being part of the "regular academic year."

Good luck

Tanya.

Guest everyoneloveschem

Thanks Y'all.

I bit the bullet after playing phone tag all yesterday morning and I went over to Carleton and played nagging student office tag. End result....I got into the course. Yay. Now I can move on to bigger and better things, such as actually doing my application (I wasn't going to go all out and then find out I was missing a credit for the UofO application). Thanks for your help though, just goes to show why this board is so SUPER!!!

Archived