Premed 101 Forums

Auto Sketch Q

Guest ioncannon97

Guest ioncannon97

I have a lot of little academic awards (like highest mark in 2nd year Biochem, grade 12 math contest, etc.) Should I mention all of these? and if so, how do we get verifiers for things like these?

Guest chiapet921

Personally, I'd think if those awards really mean alot to you, then by all means include them in the sketch...that is, the awards may show different aspects of you as a person, and not just how academically successful you are...ex., those math contest awards could show you as a team player etc. if you were part of a championship team...

I believe that if those awards are in the form of a certificate or something, can't we use ourselves (the applicant) as a verifier? we can just produce them if called upon, right? can someone please verify that? :P

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I think that the idea of this whole exercise is to compile a list of people, institutions, etc., that, if called up, can independently verify that you did in fact participate in the activity or win the award you mentioned. Though I have nothing concrete to cite in saying this, I'd have to discourage using yourself as a verifier, especially for awards. Simply cite the institution which awarded you the honour you have mentioned if you cannot contact the person who was in charge. Using yourself as a verifier is not a good idea IMHO, as one can simply claim to have "lost" their Highest Ranked Student in Canada certificate or their Nobel Prize certificate if prompted by the schools. Better safe than disqualified over something trivial, I say.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest chiapet921

hrmm..I see...but its not like I'm out to deceive these ppl...I have the proper documentations and records...I've emailed the folks at OMSAS but they haven't gotten back to me yet...wonder what the "official" ppl have to say about this...

but in any case, TimmyMax, it'd go something like this:

"X Institution 123-456-7890" and that's ok enough?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Yeah, that sounds better, even if you only quote the institution from which you got the award from. Much better than using yourself as a verifier.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest chiapet921

so this was the official word from the ppl at OMSAS:

"You can do as you suggested, or simply indicate that "documentation is available"."

What I suggested was to use myself as a verifier...

Guess its a question now of personal preference...!

Thanks to all for your input!

But wonder where in the verifiers section of the application can I say "documentation is available"?

You can create a verifier with whatever name you want, and can create one named "Documentation is available", for example.

For example, last year I used an entry "University Transcript" and put that as the verifier for everything that was documented with a transcript notation.

The way I read the instructions, you only need verifiers for the stuff you put in the school submissions, and not the list of 48 or whatever autobio things. About time OMSAS updated their app/instructions maybe.

Guest Lactic Folly

AFAIK the Univ of Toronto wants verifiers for the list of 48 activities, and they are the only school to request this.. (as opposed to the essay submissions for all the schools).

Guest Kirsteen

Hi dddd,

What the post above yours means (if this is the one to which you are referring), is that UofT wants to see verifier references for all the written components of the OMSAS application that they ultimately receive. That is, verifier references should be used in both, your UofT essay, as well as the autobiographical sketch.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest McCarey007

There really is no space at all for the autobio sketch description if you are applying to tonronto because you have to put the verifier's # in. Man....I can barely fit in the name of the company I worked at.

Archived