Premed 101 Forums

Need help in knowing where I stand

Hi,

I really want to get into med school but I screwed up my second and third yrs of undergrad, but did very good in 4th and 5th yr. Can anyone tell me what kind of chances I might have for Ontario med schools? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

cGPA (McMaster): 3.51

wGPA (Northern/Ottawa): 3.74

U of T: 3.74 (b/c of taking off my lowest 5 credits cuz I took full course load)

Western: I have over 3.7 in last 2 yrs

Queens: 3.85 (average of last 2 years)

MCAT: BS 10, PS 10, VR 10, WS: S

Plus, I have great experience - currently working as research asst in hospital under psychiatrist, 1 yr in medical clinic, 4 mths volunteering in hospital, 4 mths volunteering in neuropsychology lab, 1 yr research on dementia patients, and 1 yr research on depression patients

You have an excellent chance at Queen's and Western. Depending where you are from you could have a decent chance at Ottawa or NOSM too. I would say if you think your EC's are spectacular and you write a really good personal statement you have a chance at U of T too, though the average GPA of the first year class is usually around 3.9. Likewise with McMaster. I wouldn't rule any school out completely!

Hope that helps! For more information I would check out the admissions process at each school for exactly how decisions are made for a better idea.

Archived