Premed 101 Forums

Chances of deferral

I'm just starting grad school now so I won' be able to attend medical school until I finish in 2 years. However, I'm interested in applying this year and maybe defer an acceptance should I be so lucky to get one.

What are the chances of deferral with UO? How does it work with them? I know for UCalgary, for example, deferrals are relatively common. I dunno about UO..

I'll apply anyway this year. Aside from the money, I have nothing to lose, do I?

Only time (yours & the admin comittee's), if you really don't have interests in attending next yr... However, there's also the possibility of starting in september 08 anyway and finishing your grad degree during the summers or things like that, as you won't be required to finish before med school starts. Many people in my class (myself included) opted for that option. Keep in mind that if you apply, you'll need a letter from your supervisor saying they are aware of your application to med school... so there's probably a discussion to be had there...

Personally, I agree with futdoc08hopin in that I don't think you should apply if you're sure you'll just defer. I think deferrals exist more to accomodate unplanned and uncontrollable events than to allow people to get many shots at the process without waiting an extra year... And it would really suck to have to refuse an offer of acceptance if they won't grant you the deferral! It's your call though, so do what you think is best.

I'll apply anyway this year. Aside from the money, I have nothing to lose, do I?

Exactly. The fact that you would need to request a deferral isn't a valid reason not to apply. In fact, there's a lot to be gained by applying because you'll become more familiar with the application process and will also gain some interview experience if you're granted an interview. Even if you aren't offered admission (or if you're offered admission but aren't given a deferral) the experience of applying will probably help improve your chances next year.

Another thing to consider, however, is that depending on what field you're in expecting a masters degree to be completed within two years often isn't realistic. In biochemistry, for example, it typically takes 2-4 years to complete a masters thesis or 6-7 years to complete a Ph.D. thesis. So if you're planning on having a master's degree completed within two years you might want to ensure that this is a realistic goal for your particular research field.

I can say from my own experience that if you get into Ottawa via grad stream you won't be granted a deferral to finish your degree and/or pursue further research and you will have to finish degree requirements either by the end of summer or at least in the early part of the first year of med school. Dr.Hebert made it clear that research can no longer be a ground for a deferral.

If you get in based on your undergrad merits, then you can finish your grad degree whenever or even not finish it (although it would be a big waste) but it is still extremely unlikely you'll get a deferral.

I can say from my own experience that if you get into Ottawa via grad stream you won't be granted a deferral to finish your degree and/or pursue further research and you will have to finish degree requirements either by the end of summer or at least in the early part of the first year of med school. Dr.Hebert made it clear that research can no longer be a ground for a deferral.

If you get in based on your undergrad merits, then you can finish your grad degree whenever or even not finish it (although it would be a big waste) but it is still extremely unlikely you'll get a deferral.

What a kick in the gonads. I just really want to get my shot at the interview. My wGPA is 3.87, and the cutoff for my area is already 3.85! What if it catches up!!?!

Patiently_waiting said that they won't even consider first year grad students. Can anyone confirm this? I personally don't think it's true.

you can actually apply to ottawa while in the first yr of grad studies. as long as your undergrad marks make the cutoff you get pooled with the undergrads anyway. only if your undergrad marks don't make the cutoff will you be brought over to the "grad pool" if you're a grad student. this is bad if you're applying through a course based masters because they're looking for research at this point...

but, where a grad degree will help exponentially is in the sketch under research.

if you go to http://www.medecine.uottawa.ca/admission/eng/AdmissionPolicy.html and click on 'Guidelines for Applications for Graduate Students' you'll see the exact wording (i can't seem to paste the text).

chrail

Archived